Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

I just got my braces off and a retainer in, how long do you think it will be before I don't have to wear retai

I just got my braces off and now I have two retainers. How long do you think it will be before I get to stop wearing my retainers?

Favorite Answer

I am a Dental Hygienist and I work at an orthodontist. I recommend to my Pt's to wear the retainers full-time for about 6 months. This gives the teeth some time to settle (if you don't wear them or have them out for more than about 4-6 hours, your teeth will start to drift back to the position they were in prior to the braces treatment). After that time, you could probably wear them at night only. Do this for as long as you possibly can. The longer you wear them, the straighter your teeth will be. By around age 21 you stop growing and hopefully your teeth will stay put. However, teeth move throughout life (esp the lower front teeth) so if you can wear them every 2nd/3rd night great. Tip: If the retainers ever feel tight when you put them in, you know your teeth have moved slightly!

I would say never because I had my braces taken off and wore my retainers perfectly for like a year and then I slowed down to just night time and then I would skip days. Before I knew it, I couldn't fit my retainer anymore and my teeth shifted and unfortunately, I had to get braces again. Nothing serious but I didn't want to have to start all over again. I will have to have them on for another year. I would just seriously try to add them to your everyday lifestyle. It's not worth it to have to get braces again or after all that time and money, when your older your teeth are back where you started. You know what I mean?

I've heard that you will have to wear a retainer for the rest of your life but most people don't. It would probably be safe to stop wearing it after like.. two years maybe?

Quite a long time... years in most cases, perhaps indefinitely. The last few movements of the teeth that are accomplished stretch the ligaments that are holding the teeth and hold them in that stretched position. The retainers help to hold this position, and it can take a long time for those ligaments to relax in their final position. Teeth tend to want to migrate toward the anterior and middle of your mouth, so the retainers hold this pattern as well. Listen to what your orthodontist advises you to do with this!

Good luck!

cgl DDS

• rash

Retainers How Long

• Anita

No. My dentist put fixed retainers then after that, the removable ones. But make sure to wear them always. Cause I don't xD

I got my braces off when i was 13. And the dentist recommended me to wear until i'm 18. Maybe thats because i'm still young, so my teeth structure changes. But if you are an adult, you should wear it for two to three years. approximately.

The first year 24/7, remove only when you eat.

Second year depending on much if any your teeth moved, every nite.

3rd year you need to be advised by what your Dr. wants you to do.

i would say about 3 months and then you can wear it only 3 times a week. all i have to say is dont lose them tho.

it all depends on yout teeth and mouth. you need to ask your dentist that question. each person has different dental problems.good luck.