Are Spititual people particularly prone to Narcissism?

One way to understand Narcissism, is that a persons sense-of-self / ego is fused/merged with another. In that situation 'others' are just seen as extensions of ourselves and simply there to serve our needs. Or, we can feel threatened and overwhelmed by others because they seem to be taking over... show more One way to understand Narcissism, is that a persons sense-of-self / ego is fused/merged with another.
In that situation 'others' are just seen as extensions of ourselves and simply there to serve our needs.
Or, we can feel threatened and overwhelmed by others because they seem to be taking over 'our' sense-of-self.

These Ego distortions may occur after getting a taste of oneness, the ego tries to grab a hold of 'oneness' for itself in a desperste attempt to survive.

I know of at least one person who thinks he's god. He used his son for sex even when he was still a toddler. But hey, that didn't matter because he was god and trancended good and evil (see what I mean).

What do you think?
Update: This is not a criticism of spirituality, I am spiritual myself.

It is a question about the traps people can fall into.

Another aspect of this is that schizoid people also have a habit of gravitating towards spirituality.
They prefer dreamy, blissful 'heavens' to the hear-and-now.
Update 2: Yes, numbnuts. The reason we 'hang onto other people' is because of a fragile and distorted sense of self. It is just that this can get out of control. It doesn't have to be as extreme as my example but can also be subtle. Like 'using' another person to validate your existence. What happens... show more Yes, numbnuts. The reason we 'hang onto other people' is because of a fragile and distorted sense of self.
It is just that this can get out of control.

It doesn't have to be as extreme as my example but can also be subtle. Like 'using' another person to validate your existence. What happens if that person walks away from you?

I'm not talking about a relationship with a real god, but with a persons fantasy of what god is... a self created fantasy.
Update 3: Yes, thanks Phil, exactly.

Although, perhaps I'm projecting my own struggles a bit too much... eeek!
Update 4: Alun

Nobody is suggesting that n'ism is only present in spiritual people.

What I'm suggesting is that spiritual experience can be missused, or misinterpreted by the ego.

This may be more subtle and pervasive than many people are willing to face.
Update 5: Yes Firebug Rather than being self-love, it is really thinly disguised self hate and self rejection, A house of cards. A compensation. If they are not getting the support for that image of themselves, the panic anger and demands start. You must have seen the people that come along to groups, take up all... show more Yes Firebug

Rather than being self-love, it is really thinly disguised self hate and self rejection, A house of cards. A compensation.

If they are not getting the support for that image of themselves, the panic anger and demands start.

You must have seen the people that come along to groups, take up all the time of the teacher, trying to get them to agree with their 'insight' and then they never come again! Some people don't really meditate, they just split off from awareness and 'bliss out'. It's crap, but they think that that is it.

Ego is nothing other than all the images and representations of reality we have in our heads.

Although our 'direct' experience is always there, our focus is largely on our representations, our handle on reality.

That is why it is important to keep coming back to our raw experience without judging it or making a story up.
Body-awareness is important for the same reason, and particularly so for the blissed out ones.