Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

i need help?

i havent been on an airplane since 9 -11 and iam scared to death my flight is 3 hours long plz tell me how not to be scared

Favorite Answer

Your chances of being involved in an aircraft accident are about 1 in 11 million. On the other hand, your chances of being killed in an automobile accident are 1 in 5000. Statistically, you are at far greater risk driving to the airport than getting on an airplane. However, the perception is that you have more control over your fate when you are in your car than as a passenger traveling on an airplane. Experience shows otherwise, considering that over 50,000 people are killed on the highways every year. Media coverage would suggest that airline crashes happen every day. Studies have shown one would have to fly once a day every day for over 15,000 years in order to statistically be involved in an aircraft accident"

Flying is very very safe. Don’t worry about terrorists that is the least likely thing to go wrong on a commercial flight in the US these days. Flying in the United States is very safe, there has not been a major airline crash in the US since November of 2001! That is a long time for no major crashes and only on fatality in the last seven years for the Major Airlines in the US.

Even when there is a problem on an airplane, if an engine fails on takeoff or an engine fire etc.. 99% of the time the plane lands safely. Planes these days are amazing piece of technology and the pilots are trained better than ever. If you not afraid to drive in a car you should not be afraid to fly in a plane.

Just sit back relax and try to enjoy the flight. Its one of the safest things you can do much safer than driving a car, walking down the street, or even sleeping in your house. More people have died on North American highways in the year 2006 than the amount of people who have died in powered flight aviation whole 104 year history!

Also the best way to completely get over your fears is go to you local General aviation airport and take flying lessons! Once you fly in a small airplane a few times and learn that airplanes fly and that’s all they do you will be much more confident with flying on commercial planes. You will learn a lot with a few flying lessons. I could even teach you a lot by just showing you my Microsoft Flight Simulator. Flying is a great experience, once you get used to it and learn what makes airplanes fly etc.. your fears go away trust me, I used to be a little bit scared to fly too. Now I LOVE it.

Source(s): Just remember this, your not afraid to drive in a car are you? Well think about this. Cars are made to crash wells planes are not. Why? Because cars crash and planes don’t, they just like to fly.

I've flown more since 9/11 than I did before and I can tell you simply that there is absolutely nothing to be afraid of.

Go to http://www.theskilledtraveler.com/ a former worker of Hotels.com and Expedia.com, he has all the travel advice(helpled me deal with my claustrophobia for Amtrak), and also tossed in some great trip advice to help me get a good deal on a ticket and hotel. And he does it all for free.

Like the great John McLane once was told, take off your shoes and make fists with your feet on carpet