Spice Consumption and Increased Risk of Cancer?

Recently, I was talking with someone about my love for spicy food. My friend told me that consuming too much of certain spices had been linked with an increased risk of stomach cancer. My friend conceded what I've generally read about spices and health -- that certain spices have health benefits and help... show more Recently, I was talking with someone about my love for spicy food. My friend told me that consuming too much of certain spices had been linked with an increased risk of stomach cancer.

My friend conceded what I've generally read about spices and health -- that certain spices have health benefits and help fight cancer -- but warned that excessive consumption of "some spices" can actually increase risk of cancer. Is this true? I tried finding info online, but whenever I search the terms "spice" and "cancer" I only found lists of the health benefits of spices. Has anyone heard of a danger associated with excessive consumption of certain spices?