Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesPhoenix · 1 decade ago

What can you tell me about mesa?

I understand some parts are a little rough, is everything gang territorty, or are there some good parts

Favorite Answer

I am a fifth generation native Arizonan. I have lived in Phoenix, Chandler, Scottsdale, Mesa and Gilbert.

Saying some parts are a "little" rough is an understatement. Anyone who says they'd feel safe anywhere in Mesa at any time should go for a stroll around 8th Ave and Country Club.

Mesa is a large city. It is almost 500,000 people. For it's size it is probably the most culturally bankrupt city in America. Mesa has so little to offer, unless you're looking for mobile home/trailer parks, Wal Marts a plenty, head shops, Waffle Houses, pawn shops, buy-here pay-here used car lots, check cashing stores, rent to own tire stores, bail bonds, massage parlors, joyerias, carnicerias, furniture rental stores, more trailer parks, tatoo parlors, dollar stores and old motels. In that case, it is paradise.

There is a shred of hope for a city that thought "zoning" meant being in Arizona. Northeast Mesa north of Brown and east of Stapely. There are especially nice areas in the orange groves around Falcon Field and at Las Sendas.

Also, Mesa is at least trying to revitalize downtown. The new performing arts center is the antithesis of Mesa.

Things like a pointless 10pm noise curfew for Mesa Amphitheater, a once outstanding outdoor music venue, $25 prostitutes walking on Main St., trailer parks next to $1 million homes are what need to change.

But that's just the opinion of a fifth generation Arizonan.

a lot of the cities have good and bad, wealthy and poorer sections

the downtown area where the big bank building is, is nice. the superstition springs area is nice. i think most of Power and Val Vista Roads are nice.

west mesa, like box between the 101 & dobson and then university & main is a lot of gas stations, really run down homes. it's the only real "bad" part that i know of. West mesa is just very inner within the metro area, so it's only getting older, and has no room for new expansions and the city gets newer generally as you go east. Even East Tempe (my location) on the other side of the 101 is getting old and losin money. McClintock & Apache has a trailer park.

Gang territory in Mesa? I've lived here for more than 20 years and I would walk to my car alone at night anywhere. The city has grown to be huge, but it's like the whole area is a suburb. There is a strong Mormon presence in East Mesa which keeps the neighborhoods there quieter, and I live in West Mesa now, in one of the oldest parts, and it's still nice.

• mkt

There are good parts of every city. Mesa has the highest population next to Phoenix. Why? B/c it's cheaper. So you get alot of people or families who are looking for a cheaper way of life. May being unfavorable such as gangs, others not so much.

The Mormon Temple is in Mesa, so there is a strong Mormon population there as well. Larger families, cheaper living - makes sense.

I've never liked Mesa. I live in Scottsdale & love it. I grew up in Phx & north Glendale - I like thos cities far more & I can't really expain it well. Mesa always FELT 2nd rate to me.

• Mel

I live in Mesa and I haven't seen any gangs. Most of the gangs are in Phoenix (I would NOT recommend living in most parts of Phoenix unless you like the ghetto). The majority of Mesa is very nice there are some parts that are rough but there are parts of every town that are rough. For the most part Mesa is a good clean place to live.

I guess to some people, a group of minorities or white guys with tattoos hanging out are considered a gang.......lol

Hurry! roll up the windows and lock the doors hunny! that Mexican with the white t-shirt looks suspicious!

You have some good and bad areas in Mesa, but mostly good.

Gang territory? Mesa is the BEST WHITEST AND BRIGHTEST part of the whole Phoenix area! I guess it has its bad areas, but every place does. I would move there if I could, so many Racial Street Solderers around! Great place to move if you are racially aware. The Prescott area is good too, us white folk are all over around here! Mesa is a good choice - for WHITE PEOPLE!

• Jeremy

Mesa means Table in spanish

Yes there are good parts of Mesa.

I disagree with TSCO, it is an easy issue. For those here illegally, they are in violation of national law. I say "right on" Sheriff. Do your job, and do it well. This country is not a welfare state for just anyone who crosses our borders. I do not feel that the Sheriff's point of view is racial, nor racial profiling. It is upholding the law. If we want to call if race profiling, then why not open that up to anyone committing any crime? Arresting a person for arson could be considered wrong for "racial profiling", or a rapist, or murderer, or thief, or anyone else committing a crime. If we allow the whine of racial profiling for this crime, then we open the door for others to cry foul for the commission of a crime.