Non-fiction vs fiction books?

I don't read stories. They're not real and it takes longer than a film - I find it's a waste of time.

I prefer to read non-fiction. I much prefer to learn something during my reads. What do you think? And are you mainly a fiction or non-fiction reader?
Update: Leah, I see beauty in the world. In the workings of the mind and the universe, in human actions in the past. A bunch of rhyming words (i.e. poems) doesn't make anything more beautiful.
Update 2: Pip, interesting thought. You're my favourite for best answer so far, but I still find non-fiction more compelling. "Catch22" is still a story about war, but I find "Rape of Nanjing" much more hard hitting because it's very very real. Some of the things I couldn't believe I was... show more Pip, interesting thought. You're my favourite for best answer so far, but I still find non-fiction more compelling. "Catch22" is still a story about war, but I find "Rape of Nanjing" much more hard hitting because it's very very real. Some of the things I couldn't believe I was reading and ... yes ... I shed a few tears.
Update 3: Some people are side-lining non-fiction as dull? Why? Just like fiction, there are engaging story-tellers and the most mundane stories.

People in glass houses.
Update 4: Steph P, I don't really limit myself to a specific genre. All of the above I guess. Some that come to mind: - A brief history of time by Stephen Hawking I think this is poetry. The concepts are hard but the revelations are so beautiful that it has tremendous humility. I can see why Jim studied it. -... show more Steph P, I don't really limit myself to a specific genre. All of the above I guess. Some that come to mind:

- A brief history of time by Stephen Hawking
I think this is poetry. The concepts are hard but the revelations are so beautiful that it has tremendous humility. I can see why Jim studied it.

- The Art of War by Sun Tzu
You have got to appreciate how this book is so influential in history.

- A child called it by David Pelzer
Harrowing. I can't read too much of these "liketolisten".

- Use your head by Tony Buzan
Very interesting. A kind of manual for the brain I guess.

I do tend to gravitate towards popular psychology and philosophy. I have many of these books at home, but they're written by non-famous writers.

Btw, I study something completely different to any of these subjects ( MSc/PhD biochemistry if people must know (I know what you mean Pip about student loans >_<)).