Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

my mom has a fever?

she has a fever of 101.9, it has come down from 103 and it decreases a bit which is a good thing. she has 2 pairs of sox on,some sweatpants, a tshirt with a sweatshirt on top, and 3 blankets on top of her and a scarf around her forehead. she insists on keeping all of the blankets on but i think it might raise her temp. she is congested and has a runny nose and there is a mess of used tissues all over the living room and couch where she is resting. (im trying to paint a mental pic for u). she has some vicks on her chest and nose and her nose is a little red from the tissues. she is taking some medicine and is drinking gatorade. and she slept all day. whenever i touch her leg to prop them up or something, she says it hurts and she says her whole body feels tender. and her whole body feels warm but she says she is freezing cold. she cant stand or sit up for long periods of time and shes exhausted. is this normal? and wat can i do to help her. fyi she is 38 and is a lil on da heavy side.

Update:

she has been sick for lyk 9 hrs. not even a whole day. the doctor said it was not the flu. my mom might be exaggerating. she does that. (she takes advantage of her sicknesses) it gets annoying.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

ok, first thing. Get her socks off of her. she only needs to have a sheet covering her. No sweatshirt on. Take the scarf off. If she doesn't get these clothes off then she won't get rid of the fever. Tell her its either she takes all the heavy stuff off or she gets to get in the tub full of ice that you will make for her to bring her fever down. Just kidding. Give her some Tylenol I don't know if you said that you gave her some if she isn't allergic to it. That should bring her fever down. If she has had a fever or 24 hours. You need to call the doctor. It sounds normal for her body to be lethargic. (meaning no energy) just kinda dragging. She's fighting infection somewhere. Make her rest in bed. Clean up all the tissues she has lying around. She needs to be in her bedroom if she might become contagious. So the rest of the family don't come down with it. Usually at night is when your fever rises anyway. It will start to come down. She is congested and has a runny nose. She might have a really good sinus infection or some type of respiratory infection?? I'm just guessing I'm not a doctor. Has she tried anything for the congestion? Mucinex OTC works to loosen up her phlegm. Although if she has a runny nose you need to buy her an OTC antihistamine. I would call the doctor if she doesn't feel any better by today....Good luck

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The pain/tender on her legs doesn't sound too normal, however it could be a sign of the flu. From what i'm aware she needs to rest and drink lots of water (gatorade is ok but water is better). The reason why she is getting a temp is because the bacteria in her body. It's best she remains covered but not to the point where she will become too hot (this could be servere). If she isn't well or feeling better by tomorrow morning then i suggest she see's the doctor. I only say this because I work in a pharmacy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Whenever you have a fever feeling cold is normal. If your mom can have aspirin, or an nsaid like ibuprofen or acetaminophen, give her some. Keeping her covered does make her warmer, but it will help her to break her fever. She shouldn't eat food but she should drink plenty of liquids. Staying hydrated is important. If she can stand it have her suck on or chew some crushed ice. Fevers do make you feel miserable and will make you feel like you're freezing. Your mom probably knows what she needs more than we do. Just do what you can for her when she wants it. Trying to do to much can be bothersome to someone who doesn't feel well. Lights probably make her eyes hurt too, so keep the lights low or off. You're a good son/daughter for wanting to take care of her. God bless you and I hope and pray she'll feel better soon. If the fever has lasted more than 24 hrs, see what you can do to get her to the Dr. The fact that the fever is dropping is a very good sign.

As a last resort, and it will be at her discretion, she could take a lukewarm bath to help reduce the fever.

• monzo
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

attempt cooling her off with the aid of getting a cold wash fabric and putting it on her brow. OR ice her in a funky tub. each and every so often you purely might desire to provide a fever time to bypass down with the aid of itself. She might purely have the flu or got here down with some thing. yet while the fever gets as much as a hundred and five or if she shows any undesirable warning signs then you definately might desire to probable have her taken to the well being facility/emergency room.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sounds like she has the flu. Your a good child to care enough to ask a question. Make sure she has plenty of fluids and gets rest. If you have popsicles or ice, have her eat some of that. Also, wash your hands and do not rub your eyes or nose if you are caring for her. You will spread the germs to yourself.

• 1 decade ago

Give her some fever medicine.

Tell her to get all of her warm things off (blankets, sweatshirts, sweatpants)

I knoe it will be cold, but i had a fever of 106 last year and i had to sleep with all my blankets off.

Next, Get a washcloth and wet it with lukewarm water (water that isn't freezing cold but isn't too warm)

I think tylenol helps with fevers too

I don't know but just read the label

Source(s): Previous fevers
  • 1 decade ago

aww you love your mom! Well, these symptoms seems to be normal for a flu.. And from what I heard was that if you have a flu, you should sweat it out..so what shes doing is fine. She should drink LOTS of water and eat some healthy fruits and veggies! You can be there for her and bring her whatever she needs.

• 1 decade ago

Sounds like a flu. She should wear loose, light clothes, don't over bundle. Take Ibuprofin for fever and pain and rest is good.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Mix lemon and honey in hot water.

Just do a google search and type in , how to cure flus.

• sheru
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

its is the flu...

dont put her in a cold shower...for gods sakes...keep her in bed with covers..let her sleep and rest...a good chicken soup does wonders...rest rest rest...keep her warm but not over heated..panadole every 4 hours..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.