Is seeking eternal life a form of arrogance?

Does the craving for "eternal life" lead to suffering?

Does desire for immortality arise from greed?

...does "chasing the prize" devalue the existence of the concerns of other people?

edit: if a person decided that achieving eternal life required him to sacrifice the life of his child ... and he did so, the child would suffer, the child's mother would suffer

if getting eternal life required a person to disown his parents, this creates suffering ( whether it's "right" or "wrong" I know of a person who has done this .... I have seen the suffering)

SDW: I remember childhood Christmas toys and at the time, I probably was thrilled ... but in a few days, or weks or years, the gifts tarnished and broke or were lost or forgotten. All that I cherish is the memories of my family and the love I felt ... the gifts are forgotten.

much of Christmas was trumped up delusion (and in school, we had to say how much we believed in "the spirit of Christmas .. and I felt like a fraud ... but I said my lines in peer-pressured obedience)

Art Bee: I don't think that life is so simple as a binary tree. I have seen way too many shades of grey and colors in questions of 'black and white'.

Sophistry begins with a "excluded middle" .. Mathematics and logic dearly love "either/or" conditions, but life doesn't seem to work that way

Art Bee .. peace be with you as well

Foxfire, the "suffering" can be heaped upon the people other than yourself, the people you have to climb over in grasping at the "hope" ... this "hope" is perhaps "false hope", a delusion.

Delusions lead to suffering, if not you, then others

tsve_tea ... this is an interesting point of view. may your path be blessed

Favorite Answer

I would say more like spiritual greed?

Look at it this way, you have two choices. Either eternal life in Heaven, or eternal life in Hell. What is arrogant is thinking you you can do anything you want here on earth, but God will forgive you and let you come into Heaven.

Nope, sorry, doesn't work that way. God doesn't want anyone to perish, but unless you repent and believe the gospel, you will perish in eternal Hell.

Sounds as if you are under a deception of the devil. You have already been promised eternal life by God, why are you "craving", "desiring", or chasing the prize?

You need to cast off the deception. Refocus on living, not dying and getting eternal life. Yes, you will die one day, but you need to stop being selfish... that is a sin... you need to repent and go spread the gospel to others as commanded by Jesus.

Stop listening to the deception of the devil.

• SDW

You remember that one toy you got for Christmas when you were a kid... the one that was so great that you never let it out of your sight for days? You would sleep with it in your bed, take it to school with you, and so on?

That's kinda how I view heaven. I'm going to be so overwhelmed with the goodness of it that all I will be able to do is repeat how thankful I am to God that I'm there. Except that it's going to be so great that I will spend eternity saying it and still never say it enough.

The only thing that could possibly make the "prize" better is having others to share it with, which means that as long as I am on this earth my duty is to the concerns of other people.

Seeking eternal life may create arrogance in some people, but for the most of us, it is a hope that life will continue after the death of the physical body.

As for "craving" for eternal life leading to suffering, I'm not sure how you could equate the two.

Desire for immortality may come from greediness in some people, but again for most of us, it generates hope.

"Chasing the prize" devcaluating concerns.... could you clarify this a bit, please?

I think it all boils down to: Either you want it, or you don't. That's it!

And I don't see the need to have adjective qualifiers for its justification, other than for personal reasons...

To answer your first question, I believe that "seeking eternal life" is merely an extension to our BASIC INSTINCT OF SURVIVAL since, through observation, we do know that there is an end to this physical life that we now have.

Peace be with you!

• Adam G

Arrogance is telling somebody else that if they don't believe the way you do, that when they die, they're gonna wind up in a place of great torment and suffering for all eternity, while you're floating on a cloud, with great big wings, playing a harp.

It is about:how much you love yourself. Its OK s.o. to love himself.Its only important to not do it more than he loves the others. So its OK to want to get the prize. Just I dont think its a matter of fight - Jesus has already fighted for it. And also I dont think God would let in heaven a person who just wants to go there. The main purpose for me to go to heaven is to be with God who loves me most and I love Him most if you know what i mean

Seeking eternal like make u grandiose, and serving as u have not greed now.

Source(s): gen

Eternal life has been offered to me. I just have to accept it. No one has to search.

It's definately self-love on a major scale.