Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 1 decade ago

Can a long distance relationship work for anyone?

I don't believe in long distance relationship. you can't see each other and you can't be there for the person in hard times! If one of them is ill, how can the other take care! Don't make any sense to me! What do you think! Put your comments in!

Welcome those that agree and disagree!

I don't do thumbs down! (((Hugs to everyone))))

Favorite Answer

It depends on your expectations, your desires, and what you end up receiving from the relationship. It can work for some great, stimulating conversations, but if you want intimacy.... there may be some difficulty.

I hope it works out! :)

Blessings,

Lady Morgana )0(

It takes two people to make the committment for the relationship to work.Long distance seperations are very hard on a couple.But if they love one another enough they will make it work and they know the distance between them won,t be forever.Long distance phone calls,romantic letters,on line romantic chatting are some of the ways to stay more connected to each other.Probably more frequently than if they were in the same town or city ,sharing things about themselves they might not share otherwise.True most of these kind of relationships don,t work out but think of the ones that do and all the internet relationships that have resulted in marriages.

Hmm. . .tough question. Well, here goes. It would depend on who's involved and what circumstances and situations they would encounter. Are they able to see each other on the weekends? How far is the distance? 100 miles? 500 miles? For the most part, they don't work. But I have seen successful marriages come about through long distance relationships. But you never know until you give it a try.

• ?

Well Rae, the general consensus is that it is HARD to maintain a long distance relationship. It takes a lot more work to do so but, as some have noted, if there is a lot of communication and openness, you can learn a lot more about your partner that way than in Months of face to face relationships, where there are the distractions of dong stuff together, dating, movies and other stuff that gets in the way of meaningful conversations. In an on-line relationshp, there is nothing else to do except to communicate and, that way you get to know the inner thoughts and workings of your partner. Yes, it IS hard to deal with the lack of physical closeness but, that i9s usually only for the short term as eventually long distance relationships either end or one or the other moves to his/her partner's location just to be with each other. I think it's just a matter of strength of character and level of commitment of BOTH partners. (((((Rae)))))

Raji the Green Witch

I agree with you...there needs to be a hand to hold, a shoulder to cry on, someone to laugh with, to see a sunset, enjoy a meal...all the little simple things that make life truly worthwhile...hugs and kisses are necessary parts of life...

There is a reason for the saying...distance makes the heart grow fonder...for someone else!!! How can you maintain a relationship with a distance between you???

I'm a Canadian, born, raised and living in Ontario.

I married an American wife, who was living in Illinois when we met!

She was a shy "bachelor", and she answered my ad in a Christian singles publication BECAUSE it was a "long distance" to Canada. I guess I was equally shy.

Cecellia also answered an ad from a nice guy in Alaska ( I think LONG DISTANCE made her feel safer ... like the "flight responce" in your question about guys running away); but I was close enough to drive to Illinois!!!

The bottom line is "long distance relationships DO work", but the girl next door is probably nice too!

I been to that situation..It's true..It's hard to be in a long distance relationship, though, there are others that can take it and end up to be a happy couple. But in my case, i don't wanna try again..

0 from 3 so far and I don't want to do it again...

If you can't see someone regularly then you grow apart and this makes it really hard to keep together.

I have alot of respect for people who do manage to make it work, but I think it is a rare thing indeed.

• geisha

i think long distance relationships are hard to maintain...you are right...its hard to love somebody that you cant see and touch...it might work for a while...but for a long time...its really hard unless both of them work at it...i think its also unfair to the both of them...what if they meet someone better than their current partner? doesn't work for me either...

Nope they don't work!! Absents make the heart grow lonely..They search for someone to fill the void.