Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

Why do they make you turn off your cell phone in an airplane?

Is it because it interferes with the signal? but then why do they make you turn off portable cd players too? And what would happen if i left mine on while we were taking off?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The airlines advise that mobile phones can interfer with the aircraft's navigation equipment.

They make you turn off portable cd players because the scanner in the cd player has the potential to interfer, also.

What would happen if you left either the phone or the cd player on? Well, let me answer it this way: I did that - left the cell phone on during a flight from Singapore to Dubai. And I'm here to tell you about it. No one said anything to me, either.

• 1 decade ago

along with what everyone else said about the signal interfering, the fact is that your cell phone won't even work past 10 or 12 thousand feet. But it will continue to look for a signal and wear your battery down. New phones have a feature called airplane mode or standalone mode with allows you to turn the signal off but still have access to the games on your phone.

Source(s): I'm a flight attendant.
  • Recently there has been studies about the "interference" from our mobile phone signal to aircraft avionics. Not much have been concluded. However, one thing they agreed most...

"Can you imagine yourself in an aircraft with Phones Ringing and loud conversations?"

Maybe it is your Privacy and comfort that are at stake, if they allow people to use their mobile onboard an aircraft.

• 1 decade ago

Leaving your cell phone on during the flight can interfere with the planes navigation systems which are used during takeoff and landing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It depends basically on antenna or other emission point which are not provided with the sufficient transmission power or the due to the atmospherically weather conditions makes communications very complicated.The second part of your inquire I guess is due to radio frequency interferences

Source(s): My knowledge
  • Nae
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I agree with the guy who answered before me and

I also would think that the cell phone signals would disrupt/interfere with the communication to the towers.

• 1 decade ago

It interferes with the communication system of the pilots.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.