Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How much do airbags really matter?

I have a 1991 Corolla that doesn't have airbags... Should I be worried? I'm a good driver and shouldn't get in a crash but I mean how much of a difference do they really make. I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt lap and shoulder?-

Favorite Answer

Well air bags increase your chances of surviving a car crash. However if the crash is a really big one no amount of air bags are going to save your life if the car ends up in pieces.

People have lived their whole lives without airbags in the past. It is just an added safety option if you have them!

Source(s): Proud owner of my 1986 Toyota Corolla having travelled thousands of miles without any accidents!

Airbags are life savers. As a person who has lived through a car wreck bad enough to set off the bags, I can tell you firsthand that they help you decelerate a lot more comfortably than the dashboard (or the broken half of the tree I was left staring at after losing control of my mustang at only 40 mph) With only a rash to show for such a bad crash, airbags prove their worth. These augment and improve safety systems, and coupled with good brakes, collapsible steering columns, and seat belts, enable a driver to step away from what is one of the worst moments in anyones life.

Source(s): Totaled 2005 mustang

Three years ago my son was driving a 2001 Hyundai Elantra, he had his head up his butt and ran a stop sign. He hit the rear portion of a tanker trailer going about 50MPH, he was doing about 45MPH. His side curtain and steering wheel airbags both deployed and he only needed 8 staples to close a cut on his head. Other than that, he was uninjured. The car was demolished, and he was told by the fire and emt crews that they thought it was a fatal accident when they rolled up to the scene. Do airbags work? I'd say they do.

With airbags, people walk away from accidents that would have killed them without air bags.

Sometimes people die in acidents, in spite of air bag deployment. In just about every case, 99.9999%, they would have died without air bags.

Air bags are dangerous, and can cause injury, but more lives are saved by them than are injured by them.

Effectiveness of air bags diminishes when seat belts aren't used. They're designed to be used together.

No safety equipment is a substitute for an alert, competent, careful driver.

And stay off the cellphone while you drive, they cause brain tumors.

Well, airbags can help, but they can be a bit dangerous in a way. When my mom got in an accident she had a big bump and dark circles around her eyes from the airbag. But unless if you want to hit your steering wheel if you do get in a crash (and all drivers even good ones like you can get into one) I suggest you install airbags.

You shouldn't worry too much about your current ride not having them, but they ARE life savers in the right circumstances. I know, I'm proof.

The character who thinks that his brakes are the only safety feature that he needs is clueless. Your BRAIN is the most important safety feature. Used properly, nearly ALL accidents are avoidable. The problem is that most of us forget to fully engage the BRAIN before letting up off of the brakes. The single most prevalent cause of accidents is "driver inattention". That's "cop speak" for "disengaged brain."

Real cars don't have airbags. The only safety tool that matters is your brakes. I have never owned an airbagged car and hopefully never will.

airbags are very important i mean ok consider one day u have a collision with a car what do u chose? an balloon or your steering wheel hitting you in the face

i mean why would we put airbags in cars if they are soo dangerous

i think that air bags are dangerouse i've herd of air bags that have killed people before

consider the air bag as ur condom...i u dot have it...well...u get std...same with driving...without airbags...ur penis will start leaking...