Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

if i put a big cam on my vh commodore will it make much difrence to performance or just sound? its a 253 .?

will a big cam be good in my vh 253?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • greg e
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

the cam on it's own won't give you a big improvement if your engine is stock, but combined with headers performance inlet manifold and carby you will notice a difference.

you can always fit a later model fuel injected engine and trans, they fit straight in.

• The cam is considered the "HEART" of the engine. It makes a very big difference in performance. However, just going big may not be what you want.

The science of a cam lobe is very complex. Duration and Lift are part of it, but even they don't show the entire story. Two cam's with 220 degrees duration at .050" lift with a max lift of .490" can be completely different performance-wise because of how steep the ramp is, where the centerline is, and overlap.

When changing a cam you also have to take into consideration the valve springs. Will they bottom out? Do they have enough tension to prevent 'valve float' at the higher RPMs where all the power is?

Creating a higher RPM horsepower 'generally' results in fewer lower RPM horsepower(lower torque). Also idle quality can change. You have to take the bad with the good.

In general the performance will change more than the sound.

• 1 decade ago

Please dont waste your money. The car is 21-25 years old, and being a Holden probably is showing severe signs of tin ants.

The 254 was never a good engine to start with and i am sure it a shitload of miles on it.

It is one thing to put a "big" ( whatever that is)cam in but to get benefit of it you need to change fuel supply (carb/injection) and the exhaust. Read what the couchpotato wrote about cams.

Do some more homework on the project before you commit to anything.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.