Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 decade ago

Problem adding ram to laptop.?

I have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S2276 with 512MB of ram and Windows Vista. I bought another 512MB stick to upgrade it to 1GB. Both are DDR PC2-4200.

I've tried each stick in each socket alone, and they work fine. But when I put them together it only detects one and only shows the memory of one.

What can I do so the laptop can detect both sticks?

Favorite Answer

Off the top of my head I think you might have 2 ram sticks with differing voltage demands. If one stick is 1.8v and the other is say, 2.6v then the system may shut off the secondary bank to avoid damage.

• ?

You device from Toshiba: Memory5 • Configured with 2048MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM (the two memory slots could be occupied). optimal potential 4096MB The question I even have for you is are the memory the two between the comparable velocity and type. Are they the two 667 (PC2-5300?) the different ingredient is I even have see some laptops that are very choosy with regard to the manufactor of the ram. I understand they artwork in the smaller configurations, even though it purely could be that they do in comparison to one yet another.

for one thing i noticed is that you said DDR, PC2-4200 is DDR2 ram. Maybe a bios update. make sure that they are in their slots all the way. put one in the bottom slot first boot up hit F2 go to the bios. see that it recognize it. Then shut down then put it in top slot reboot try the same thing. check out Toshiba for solutions. could be of different speeds or one is bad.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_m...

good luck.

check your computer specs to see how much ram your computer can handle you can also go to the bios menu (usually hitting f2 before the boot process) there you can change your ram. (some computers you have to tell the bios of the added ram) remember to document anything you change in the bios menu just in case something gets messed up you will have what changes you made. (also you might want to make sure to back up just in case)