Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

what actually causes headaches?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There are several different causes, as you've seen. However, a headache is really a simple thing. If it's NOT a migraine, it's really only increased blood pressure to the veins and arteries in your skull region. That's why it throbs. Anyhow, this pressure reaches certain nerves that tell your brain, "Hey, that should hurt a little." I believe a migraine is an enhanced form of this, but also I've heard that misfiring of certain neurons in the brain can cause migraines too. Don't quote me, I'm not a medical professional.

The human brain is NUMB. It IS the hub for the information all the other nerve endings are sending to your body. Therefore, it has none of it's own. Just to let you know.

Source(s): Knowledge gathered here and there.
  • 1 decade ago

There are many different kinds of headaches and causes. It usually has to do with stress or tension and involves the blood vessels in you head. If Tylenol or ibuprofen do not give relief and they are frequent, you should see a Dr.

• 1 decade ago

What are the causes of headaches?

There are two types of headaches: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Primary headaches are not associated with (caused by) other diseases. Examples of primary headaches are migraine headaches, tension headaches, and cluster headaches. Secondary headaches are caused by associated disease. The associated disease may be minor or serious and life threatening.

How common are primary and secondary headaches?

Tension headaches are the most common type of primary headache; as many as 90% of adults have had or will have tension headaches. Tension headaches are more common among women than men.

Migraine headaches are the second most common type of primary headache. An estimated 28 million people in the United States (about 12% of the population) will experience migraine headaches. Migraine headaches affect children as well as adults. Before puberty, boys and girls are affected equally by migraine headaches, but after puberty, more women than men are affected. An estimated 6% of men and up to 18% of women will experience a migraine headache.

In the United States, migraine headaches often go undiagnosed or are misdiagnosed as tension or sinus headaches. As a result, many migraine sufferers do not receive effective treatment.

Secondary headaches have diverse causes, ranging from serious and life threatening conditions such as brain tumors, strokes, meningitis, and subarachnoid hemorrhages to less serious but common conditions such as withdrawal from caffeine and discontinuation of analgesics.

Many people suffer from "mixed" headache disorders in which tension headaches or secondary headaches trigger migraine headaches.

• 1 decade ago

Many many things can cause headaches, stress, pain, neuro issues, trauma, sinus pain, certain smells, bright lights, loud noises, the list is endless.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

i think it has a alot to do with stress.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.