Lo asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

French or Spanish easier to understand?

My first language is English but I've taken french for 5 years, and Spanish for maybe a year. Though I've learned french all through out middle and high school- I find it impossible to comprehend. I mean, in everyday world situations, or on TV/movies. However, I've taken way less Spanish classes but I can understand it much better. I can actually converse with people.

Is that typical? Is french harder to understand to a foreigner than is Spanish?

Favorite Answer

English is my native language, but I'm minoring in Spanish and I've had a little experience with French. Of the two, Spanish is without a doubt the easier language for an English-speaker to learn, and in addition is generally more useful. Spanish grammar is very straightforward, and its spelling is among the simplest of any language. Its pronunciation can be a little tricky for a native English tongue, with its trilled "R"s and such, but with practice it can be mastered more quickly than virtually any other foreign language.

okay, i know everybody is saying spanish, and i understand why. in general, it's a lot easier to pronounce (you say all the letters) and SOME structures are more simpe (like in french, you modify your possessive pronouns--mon, ma, mes... in spanish it seems like you just take the subject and don't change it at all to make it possessive-- tu casa? not sure--i don't actually take spanish. this is just what people have told me). BUT--i believe that French is actually easier in a way, and more useful too. here's why: French is INCREDIBLY close to English. everybody knows that something like 1/3 of English's vocabulary is latin-based... but they don't know that it is THROUGH FRENCH. i swear, half the words in a french-english dictionary are the same in both languages--you just pronounce them differently. French helps you with english vocabulary (good for the SATS ;)! a lot of english words with a higher meaning in english are perfectly normal in french! example: ameliorate means to improve. guess what the verb "to improve" is in french? améliorer! efface means to erase. to erase in french is "effacer." english is FILLED with these cognates. if you want or have to study british literature, it's very handy to know french. a lot of times, brit lit will have untranslated french in it because a lot of people spoke it back in the day. Jane Eyre is a good exmple of the top of my head In general, French is a very intellectual language. it was the language of the business world for many years, and still is in a lot of countries. it's also the language of the arts, and just general higher thinking. ---- but i have to say, any language you take is going to get complicated in the higher levels. i've heard that spanish has a crazy number of subjunctive tenses--even more than french if that's possible! :D switching into an "easier" language prolly won't turn out to be that much easier in the long run, and learning the two might confuse you, because spanish and french are incredibly close but have a lot of differences as well. anyways, even if i didn't convince you to stick with french. whatever. taking ANY language is about the best thing a person can do. it really helps you understand your own language better, and opens up doors to new places and new cultures. so good luck in your decision, i hope you're happy with whatever language you pick. :)

Definitely Spanish I'll also to speak Spanish but a little bit and it's an easier when I'll speak the Spanish than the French

well. i am learning french and latin and will start learning spanish this fall.

it is differnet. the passer composer might be harder in spanish and easier in french. BUT the imparfer might be harder in french and eaiser in spanish. so they kind of balance out.

but i can say when i was learning spanish in elementry school it went in one ear and came out the other. when i started to lear french in middle school (now high school) it is sticking.

deffinately spanish some of the words sound just like the english version french is crazy weird

• I would say Spanish is much easier to comprehend. It has alot less rules.

I'm with you. There are too many silent consonants with French. Beautiful language but impossible!

i agree....Spanish is easier to comprehend then French

go with spanish

its the second most spoken language other than english

Yo diria que el español, yo no hablo frances, solo español e ingles. Yeah because i'm mexican and i live in mexico.

mucha suerte. Good bay