Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

what does"depeche mode" mean and?

and what is it about their music, like the violater album that causes people that you would'nt expect to, even like it, love it. i fell for this album years ago, but still today i'm surprised when somebody says " love that song!" and i look at them and say, "YOU, love that" i mean i've seen it all.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

dépêche means dispatch (or update or news), mode means fashion.

Depeche Mode is french for

Fashion News or Fashion Update

and Depeche Mode is named after a magazine of the same name and that name roughly translates as Fashion News.

As far as what is to like - David Gahan's voice

and the pulsating beat that is present in most of their songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eybt1PkqVM

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

What Does Depeche Mode Mean

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Depeche, in French, means 'dispatch.' It can be used as a noun, like with the magazine "Depeche Mode," which means "Fashion Dispatch [news],' or it can be used as a verb or a command, like depeche toi [hurry up].

• 1 decade ago

Literally it translates to Fast Fashion, Dispatch Fashion, etc...

Not only is Violater a great album, they are a great band! I love Depeche Mode's music.

• Depeche Mode means literally "fast fashion" in french,

the exact words are Dêpèche Mode(note the french orthographical marks). They chose the name from an actual french mode magazine, they just simply picked the name because it sounds good.

• 1 decade ago

It doesn't translate readily but depeche means hurry and mode is a method of doing something. Put them together and you get "hurry method" or the name of an 80s group.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You've already been given all the possible interpretations of the band's name, so I answer the second question. I think that "Violator" is a really great album, one of their masterpieces, but non the best one. Obviously, "Enjoy The Silence" is a legend, and "Waiting For The Night" is a very beatiful track. But, in my opinion, "Ultra" is their best album, and "Playing the angel" as well. Anyway, all their albums are amazing.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what does"depeche mode" mean and?

and what is it about their music, like the violater album that causes people that you would'nt expect to, even like it, love it. i fell for this album years ago, but still today i'm surprised when somebody says " love that song!" and i look at them and say, "YOU, love...

Source(s): quot depeche mode quot and: https://biturl.im/hPe5g
  • 5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awg3H

means "Fashion news" and not "fast fashion" - named after a magazine. Didn't know this until I looked it up

• 1 decade ago

It means

"one of the best bands ever" in my opinionated taste. Dave Gahan has the sexiest voice. An hot in those jeans. They are a great, great band live.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.