reinyofTX asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

I found a kitten...it is about 6 weeks old. It is infested with fleas.?

She is beautiful but I can't keep her. I just want to help her out before letting her loose again. I am scared to put a flea collar on her because she is pretty wild and may not come up to me again to allow me to loosen it as she grows and I am afraid it will begin to choke her. Is there any powder or spray or drops at wal-mart I can use on a kitten this young.

Favorite Answer

By all means, please do not set her loose! That is a death sentence. She could get hit by a car, attacked by a dog, etc...

Call a couple vet offices. They can tell you what to do about the fleas and maybe even take the kitten and find her a home. Or find a shelter (NOT animal control or the county pound, they put it down) but please see if they are no-kill.

I would love to have her, but you're in tx(?), kinda far from here. Good luck with her.

It's great that you want to help this kitten, but instead of letting this kitten loose again, why not take her to an animal shelter? They will be able to treat her for fleas and anything else there and hopefully some one will adopt her! If you want you could even ask if there was some way you could keep in contact with the people who do adopted her!

Good luck!

Never a bad idea to take your kitten to the vet for something like this. They're too young to put flea medicine on, but you can always buy a flea shampoo or other types of natural flea repellents to help get rid of the fleas. Peppermint and clove oil are known for having natural flea repelling properties. Bathe the kitty to get most of the fleas off and use a flea come to comb out the survivors. Also make sure that there aren't eggs/larvae in other areas of the house. They make sprays and powders that you can put on your furniture and carpets and things.

Call the local animal shelter so they can pick her up. They will de-flea her and put her up for adoption. If you could catch her, you could give her a bath with a mild dish soap. Dish soap kills fleas. Kittens can die from flea infestations. The fleas suck so much blood, they become anemic and die. If you really want to help this little kitten, do her a favor and yourself by calling someone to help. Rescues also pick up kittens, however, this is kitten season and they are usually overrun with kittens.

Good luck.

Take her to an animal shelter or find her a home. At this age she will tame down pretty quickly, and if she's very pretty then she'll be easy to adopt out. There really isn't a safe solution for fleas on kittens, sorry. I would find a no-kill shelter and take her there, they'll take care of her.

Source(s): experience

Most communities have some sort of non-profit group that saves unwanted animals from being killed in county government run animal shelters. Look in your phone book, or even do an internet search for the closest humane society or ASPCA. You can call them and they can help you find a local group that can take care of the kitten for you.

• Jules

You might want to call an humane society or a cat rescue place they will be able to take care of her and treat the cat for fleas and find her a good home.

You're not limited to shelters to find someone who will treat her or take her in. Many veterinary clinics, especially the smaller ones, will take in kittens, get them all better, and put them up for adoption. Call around, I'm sure someone will help you.

walmart does sell powder and spray but insead of letting her loose look into your local animal humane society they will take her or any pet organization that are no kill good luck

What the? Why would you let her loose again? Take her to a no kill shelter please. Putting her back out on the streets is the wrong thing to do.