Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Do hispanic people get offended when?

americans speak spanish to them. I speak fluent spanish and when I speak to hispanic people they keep talking to me in english. Don't get me wrong though, many do continue speaking with me in spanish it's just that i run into a couple people that talk to me in english? So do some hispanic people get offended when americans talk to them spanish?

Favorite Answer

IT MAY BE THAT THEY ARE MORE COMFORTABLE IF YOUR HISPANIC OR THEY JUST KNOW ENGLISH. I AM MEXICAN AND MEXICANS KNOW MEXICANS AND I GET CALLED A GRINGA" SINCE I AM ADOPTED 31 YRS USA LEGAL, BUT STILL, IF YOUR AMERICAN MEXICAN YOU GET CRAP FROM MEXICANS. ITS SCREWY EITHER WAY- LIKE HOW SELENA'S FATHER EXPLAINED IT IN THE MOVIE- SELENA" BUT IT DEPENDS ON WHO IS COMFORTABLE..LIKE IF YOU WENT TO EUROPE- THEY LOVE IT IF AMERICANS SPEAK THEIR LANGUAGE WETHER IT IS FRENCH, RUSSIAN, ROMANIAN ETC.

• LTD

For me, it depends on the situation. If it's a personal conversation, and the person starts talking to me in Viet, then I figure that they are more comfortable speaking Viet, so I speak Viet to them. If it's a conversation being held in public, and I know that the person can speak English, and they just think that I can't, then I answer them in English. I do this mainly because I've been raised in the whole "Don't speak another language in front of people who don't understand the language so that they won't think that you're talking about them."

I may not be spanish speaking, but I would think it's the same concept.

Maybe the people you talked to looked Hispanic, but they were raised in the United States, and perhaps they only speak English.

I cant answer - I'm so confused. Ni puedo pensar.