Does Mortgage Insurance Premium (MIP) last for the term of the contranct on a house?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There are 2 forms of mortgage insurance:

1) MI- this is on FHA loans. This is a requirement even if you are borrowing less than 80%. You have to pay this for a minimum of 5 years. If you borrow more than 80% you still have to pay it until you drop to the 80% level but it cannot be less than 5 yrs.

2) PMI- PMI you have to pay if you borrow over 80% of the homes value. This will automatically drop off when you reach the 80% or you can call at 79% and request it to be dropped.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Nope you pay it until the balance on your mortgage is below 80% of your current property value.

Some banks for example, Citibank required that you pay the mortgage insurance for a minium of 2 years.

Just ask your lender and they'll tell you. Also as of the year 2007 mortgage insurance premium is tax deductable. Good luck!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think what you're talking about is PMI (Private Mortgage Insurance). It's mandatory with most lenders until you have at least 20% equity in the property.

Keep track of it, because they'll keep charging you for it even after you're at 80% LTV if you don't make an issue of it.

HTH

• 1 decade ago

I'm not a realtor , but my understanding form my sister, who is is that you can have be removed from the obligation for MIP once the loan to value is less than 80% - not sure if it varies form state to state though. Check with your local Board of Realtors. They can tell you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No, it lasts until you can prove that the loan to equity ratio meets a pre-determined level. That is usually 80%. That means on a $100,000 house, your remaining loan amount must be below $80,000. BTW, don't expect them to notice when your house appreciates and you cross their threshold. You will have to inform them of that fact.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.