Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Do you feel sick when you think about potentially going to church?

I know this sounds crazy, but I've been invited to go to church a few times and the mere thought of it makes me feel like I'm gonna throw up. Does anybody else have this sort of physical reaction to the thought of attending church?

Favorite Answer

Next time go, just wear red contacts, a leopard skin thong and a pair of flip flops. I bet it is the last invitation you ever get.

Honestly, it sounds kinda like the reaction Damien had in the back seat of the limo on the way to the church wedding (The Omen). Interesting, but I'd be all for finding out why that's happening.

I don't feel sick, but I do get this annoying voice in the back of my head that screams that I would be wasting my time. That and I get the feeling if I ever did step into a church again I would explode for being a sinning infidel...

I feel sick when I have to work sometimes on a Sunday and cannot attend church. Sorry!

I get three feelings when I think about stepping into a church.

First:

I want to laugh myself silly at all the deluded fools worshiping and praying to an invisible figment of their imaginations. I know it's wrong, but I look at these people as somewhat less evolved "throwbacks" of modern humans. I'd almost expect to see them start jumping up and down, hooting and hollering if a meteorite shot across the sky.

Second:

I feel incredible anger at the institution itself, how it was founded, it's prejudices, it's special exemptions and allowances, it's ulterior motives, how it maintains control over naive people, and it's pervasive intrusiveness into all aspects of society. If all churches burned to the ground tomorrow, the world would be a so much better place.

Third:

I marvel at the artistry and architecture, and how so much devotion and effort can be put into something so ultimately pointless. It amazes me how many people over the centuries were willing to defer and donate their lives to something intangible, which at the end of the day gave them nothing besides what they invented in their own minds.

I dread those rare occasions when I'm "socially obligated" to attend church. My blood pressure goes sky-high when I have to listen to some pompous pulpit-pounder spouting irrational nonsense about sin and redemption, but I've haven't vomited as a result . . . yet.

• NONAME

Depends on the church.

as a witch, i have been to some church weddings and i almost feel disrespectful being there without them knowing i'm a witch. i'm not sure why, but i do wait for the lightening bolt to strike me down. guess what, it hasn't happened yet!

I don't feel sick but I do feel annoyed and pestered, i hate people preaching to me, it makes me angry. And secondly i'm not a christian so sometimes i get offended by what they say there, and yeah i have that fear of getting struck by lightning too lol. But it hasn't happened *laughs*

Not at all. I go almost every weekend and I LOOOOVE it!! I learn something new every time I go and take it with me throughout my week. Take some Pepto if you have to and GO!!!! You might actually learn something and I'll bet you won't even throw up after all! ;)