chellybelly asked in HealthOptical · 1 decade ago

What does the average eye exam/ eye glasses cost?

Favorite Answer

It depends on where you live and where you go! If you go to an optomitrist, usually located in LensCrafters, Pearl Vision, etc. you would pay about $50.00 for a complete eye exam. Remember if you want contacts, it's a completely different price. Staying with an optomitrist you're looking to spend about $125.00. Glasses is a whole different story...Average $350.00 and that's taking into account you want a frame that you like and not just a basic garbage frame. Shop around for the best eyeglass deal. Sundays paper always has deals. Remember, glasses are like jewlery for your face so make sure you like them a lot! And whatever you do, invest in the anti reflective coating, it makes such a HUGE difference in the appearance of the lens and how YOU see and how people see you. Best wishes and HAPPY SEEING!

Source(s): long time in the field!

Depends on where you go, and probably where you live. I live in northern California. Last month, I went for an exam and new glasses at an independent ophthalmologist, and it was $511 total. My frames were pretty spendy, though, and I had to spring for the ultralight lenses.

The last time I got new glasses, I was rather poorer, so I went to Walmart. It was around five years ago so I can't remember for sure, but I believe it was around $200 to $250 total for the exam and the glasses, and that was in Minnesota, cheap frames and regular plastic lenses. I never get any kind of special coatings or finishes.

How much glasses cost depends on the type of frame and your perscription. You also have choices like light lenses, anti-glare coatings etc which put up the price. This is a bit like asking "How much does a laptop cost"