What book should I read next?

I finished Harry Potter a while back and then decided to read a childhood favorite "The Giver" and should be finished with that tonight.

I don't like sci-fi, romance, modern politics, Stephen King, Deen Koonz, Elaine Pagles etc, etc.

I prefer historical or historical fiction books espcially anything to do with Japanese history or WW2.

A list of my favorite books include:

Tales of the Otori

Harry Potter (1-7)

The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

The Giver

Eva's War

Any suggestions of what I might like to read next?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • shrek
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Thanks for thelist. I'll try to find Tales of Otori for myself, but prospects look bleak ;-(

Anyhow, all that jap-ww2 thing reminded me, have you read memoirs of a geisha? Its a nice book, but I don't know how close or far to reality the situation and societal-conditions are. Its after all, a work of fiction.

• 1 decade ago

They are not quite like what you have listed already, but have you ever read any Amy Tan books? She writes really good books that deal a lot with Chinese culture and events. Some of my favorites of hers are the Joy Luck Club and the Bonesetters Daughter.

Also good is a book by Jeanette Walls called The Glass Castle. It is her memoir of her childhood with an alcoholic father and a mentally ill mother. She manages to tell the story with love and humor. Highly Recommended.

Also, if you like fantasy books, The Abhorsen Trilory by Garth Nix is wonderful. The three books are Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen. I couldn't put these books down.

Hope this helped!

• 5 years ago

I'd recommend the hunger games series by Susan Collins. I'm obsessed with those books at the moment and they have similar genre/themes to the books you've mentioned above. Its also being made into a film that's due for release this March!

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Really sorry this suggestion is going to be so incomplete, but maybe a librarian or 'puter can help...it's a great book: 'The Cedar something'...or perhaps 'Snow on Cedars'...snow is in there, too.

As I recall this is a book involving the concentration camps set up for the Japanese citizens of the U.S. in WW2.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Since you like Harry Potter:

http://www.life-after-harry-potter.com/

Included is a list of only the best sorcery fantasy books, grade reading level, and a short review of each book.

You should also like the D'Shai series by Joel Rosenberg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Rosenberg#D.27Sh... . Set in feudal not-Japan, it is about not-Japanese society and the magic that a certain not-acrobat has - the ability to solve puzzles. His master uses him to solve murder mysteries.

I hope this helps.

Jim, http://www.jimpettis.com/wheel/

P.S. - I forgot to mention, there is some (nearly) explicit adult content in D'Shai series.

• 1 decade ago

if you like harry potter stuff or anything like it try the Bartimeus Trilogy (war between the government and the mages, wizards and so on-with djinn and demons and etc. or Artimus Fowl, anything and everything by Tamora Pierce-fiction includes magic-talking w/animals, first female knight, first female king's champion, dragons and stuff. The Great Gatsby-set during the war-forgot which one, full of scandals, lies, affairs,murder, kind of romance but not really

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Mendeleyev's Dream, the most brilliant history book I ever read, or if you like distant history try The Seven Daughters of Eve.

• 1 decade ago

The Once and Future King by T.H. White. It's about King Arthur.

• 1 decade ago

Have you read Night by Elie Wiesel?

It is a very good book. True story of a short period of time of his life during WWII.

If you haven't read it totally worth checking out.

Source(s): read the book
  • 1 decade ago

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn.

Source(s): college.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.