Is there a big difference in law schools long term?

I'd like to go to a tier 1 school- my parents are weary to send me to one, and right fully so. Financially, it's a biggggg commitment, but the state schools in NY are tier 4 (ugh)

Anyone have any facts about going to a tier 1 over a tier 4 that could sway them?

My mom just doesn't seem to get that you make a ton more going to a better school. My LSATs are in the 172-180 range.

Favorite Answer

It really depends on what you want to do after law school.

If you want to work for a large, powerful law firm in NYC, Washington, or any other large city, then going to a top-ranked law school makes a HUGE difference. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does. Harvard, Yale, Penn, NYU, Columbia, Stanford, and a few others simply dominate the big firms, and if you don't go to one of them you won't be offered a job there.

On the other hand, if you want to practice everyday law, in a small firm or by yourself, it hardly matters at all. In fact, there is a lot to be said for going to a locally focused law school. In New York, you will learn a lot more about practicing New York law at Brooklyn Law School or Buffalo than you will at Columbia or NYU. The "national" law schools pride themselves in NOT teaching the nuts and bolts of practice. But the so-called lesser schools make that their bread and butter.

Finally, if you see yourself as a straight litigator, especially in something like criminal defense or prosecution, well, people like that are born more than made. Your personality, your oratorical skills, your organizational ability, and so forth, will count more than the law school you attend. But if you might be a litigator practicing anti-trust law, say, which is usually handled at medium to large law firms, then you are back in the loop of needing to go to a "name" school.

I've had almost 30 years of practice, and I am occasionally approached about changing jobs. At this point, I either have proven myself or I haven't, but I STILL get asked what law school I attended. Fortunately, it is one of the Ivy League schools that make certain people feel comfortable. Kind of stupid, at this point, but that's the reality.

Whatever you decide, I wish you very good luck!!

Source(s): "Mr. Johnson said that he usually preferred not to speak ill of any man, but in this case he believed the gentlemen to be an attorney." ---Boswell's "Life of Doctor Johnson"

If your parents don't want to pay for a top tier school, but you want to go to one, borrow the money. If you're ambitious about what type of law you want to practice, and are successful, you should easily come out ahead financially, and should have a more rewarding career.

If you're happy just to write wills and broker small real estate deals for people for a career, then it will be a waste of money to go to a big name school.

Di's plan sounds simply proper. Also, any individual desires to place your boyfriend's mom in her role. Do you'll have older adults on your loved ones that you simply might be competent to speak to and tell them to talk to his mother to verify out and convince her that he needs to come to be a police reward? It's his long term and his determination. She has without doubt no proper to check out to stop him. And please, do not allow your boyfriend be conscious of his mom. He'll regret it for the relaxation of his existence. He desires to do what HE demands.

Go to Notre Dame - you get respect. & one of the best law schools in the country.