Why do skydivers wear helmets?

If their parachute doesn't open, do they really think the helmet is going to save them?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I cant think of anything off the top of my head that I would enjoy hitting with my head at 120 MPH, In fact raindrops are quite unpleasant at much slower speeds.

Skydiving helmets are protection in case of rough landings. Unexpected conditions like heavy wind, unavoidable obstacles, difficult terrain, or equipment failure.

Helmets also keep your noggin warm and cuts down on wind rash (And noise) and provide a mount for cameras

Military applications like supplemental Oxygen and communications also require a helmet.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Skydiving Helmets

• 1 decade ago

Aside from the 'smart' comment, "Whether the 'chute opens or not"..........

999 times out of 1000, in a full malfunction, all that's left is 'meat waffles' and a 'bag O' rags'! ! !

I am amazed that, out of so many 'answers', including one from a 'rigger', only one is a decent reply!

Any competent parachutist, ESPECIALLY a military jumper, wears a helmet to protect that MOST ESSENTIAL piece of gov't. equipment, the Brain Housing Group, in case of a hard landing, or one into trees or other vertical obstructions! It keeps your brains from being splattered across the L.Z.

THAT is the PRIMARY purpose for a helmet, ALL OTHERS are SECONDARY!

Source(s): Legal Arizona CWP armed citizen, w/ H-K USP .45ACP Life Member: N.R.A. & G.O.A. Former U.S. Marine Former Parachute Rigger:U.S.M.C. 4x Rifle & 2x Pistol Expert:U.S.M.C. Firearms owner, including Class 3 weapons 35+ years reloading metallic pistol and rifle ammo
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Right and why do they sterilize the needle for a lethal injection.

Skydivers wear helmets because on a perfect landing the speed at which they hit the ground. Now suppose something happens but it isn't the chute not opening but more like one of the cells didn't fully inflate on decent. The speeds are increased. You can jump sans helmet but I would rather have that added chance.

Source(s): Active Duty Navy Parachute Rigger.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • mayo
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

skydivers wear helmets as a precautionary measure. in case they have a bad fall (they don't land right) they won't crack their heads, just broken bones.

• Hahaha nice question. I never thought of that. Your right though, the helmet won't help when they slam into concrete.

• 5 years ago

Better safe than screwed.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

suppose the paracute opens like madd late

• 1 decade ago

its the preception of safety

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.