In Christianity, how old was Mary when she became pregnant with Jesus?

I remember in school one of my teachers said that Mary was only around 15 during the immaculate conception. It had never occurred to me that she might have been that young. I always assumed she'd be at least in her twenties, since she was married to Joseph, right?

So someone set me straight.

• Abriel
    Favorite Answer

The accepted age for Mary when she got pregnant has long been 14. By todays standards she would have been a child.

You have to remember that back then people in their 30s were considered ancient. Women in particular didn't live that long because death from childbirth was common. So thus people tended to marry off their daughters as soon as they began menstruating.

Another reason why girls were married off so soon was because girls were a liability to a family. Boys at least attained status and could bring the family income from working. Girls on the other hand were a burdon, one that the family sought to marry off as soon as possible so she could make herself useful by having children and hopefully sons especially.

Well I'm a Christian and I never said anything about The Prophet Muhammad! I already know that Mary was young when she gave birth to Jesus! It was very common then for a girl that young would be in an arranged marriage. it was practiced wide! I'm not sure about The other Christians that may have answered some stupid remarks but all i know is what i know and i study alot.i don't just say things because thats what my Pastor told me or anyone else said to me! I took the time out to pray and look for the Right answers!

• Curtis

At the time of Jesus young woman were generally married around the age of 14 or 15. Life expectancy was 40 or 50 if you were very old and young woman had been taught all they would need to know by the time they were 14.

1) The Immaculate Conception refers to Mary being saved by God from being stained with Original Sin at the moment of her conception.

2) According to an early Christian text called the Protoevangelium of James, Mary was sixteen when she became pregnant with Jesus.

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/infancy...

Mary wasn,t married to Joseph when she became pregnant with Jesus,the marriage came later.

Many theologians believe that Mary was in her early teens. Customs were and still are very different in other parts of the world so this would'nt have been strange or unaccepted. As to knowing her exact age, none of us will probably know until it is revealed to us in Heaven. The greater question is, will you be in Heaven at the end of your life so you can find out?

Mary was around 15 or so. Maybe younger. But she wasn't married to Joseph, she was engaged to him.

• Mosa A

St Mary was 14 years old when she became pregnant and Josef was 90 years old he toke her to take car only for her life .

Between 14 and 17 years old. In that day and in that country people married early. She was truly a virgin mother and she wasn't married yet.

On that time girls got married very young. Even at the age of 12. My Christian friend told me that in the Bible, when a girl started to menstruate, she is ready for marriage.