Werzel asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Carl Jung: did he achieve individuation/happiness?

I am loving the works of Jung but can't help but wonder if he practiced what he preached.

And I wonder if he was on a journey of Self as well, and if so, did it result in his own favour as well as in favour of his theories?

Favorite Answer

Jung preceded the individuation/happiness craze we now see in westernized psychology/psychiatry/social sciences. He also defined it differently-- he of course saw it as the integrating of the conscious and unconscious aspects of the psyche to create a unique being. The ultimate end was supposed to be wisdom (wouldn't ya know it, that's my Avatar's name), which typically takes >50 years to achieve.

I'm not sure he thought much about it from our current definition, given that his bent was more towards those things that drew humans together-- a collective unconscious, the personality types and the unifying views of humanity as expressed in mythology. Jung was brilliant and a student of mythology, which he viewed as a unifying force that did not entertain individuation as expressed today. In many regards he reminds me of Joseph Campbell in his later years, refined, cultured, wise, deep and inquisitive.

Source(s): I'm a shrink!

Sounds more like a genetic memory coming through all of the filters to reach consciousness in the form of a Deja Vu. It happens. And there is no doubt our genes do have the memories of everything they have ever experienced within them. I figure that some of us or all of us at one time or the other have experienced such things. What Jung experienced happened before we had the information we now have. Deja Vu in my opinion is more a genetic experience than anything. Of course, that is just my opinion.