Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 decade ago

SUV for my first car?

I'm getting my first car soon and I really want an Explorer. My parents say insurance is going to be a lot more expensive for a teen driving an SUV. Is this true? I also heard that white cars are the cheapest to insure, and I want a white car, not because it's cheap but because I like white cars. Is this true? My mom has a SUV and she pays a reasonable amount for insurance, but of course she's been driving for 30 years. I'm paying for my car on my own and paying for insurance. I only make about $550 a week at my job. Is there any way I can make it? All I have to pay for is gas, insurance, and my car payment (I have no clue how much my payment will be, as I haven't bought the car yet).

I always thought I would do just fine paying for all this, now that the time has come, I'm not so sure. Do you think an SUV is a good idea for a teen's first car in my situation? Will it cost too much? Thanks.

i said $550 a week at my job, i meant per MONTH!! haha, i wish i made $550 a week.

sorry about that/

used, but not USED USED..like a newer model with not too many miles.

was that supposed to be rude? no, im not trying to impress anyone, but i play soccer and i haul a lot of stuff around..and i pick my friends up to take them to practices..i need a lot of room.

Favorite Answer

Hi there, if you are thinking about saving on gas, have you thought about a hybrid car? The Toyota Prius would be a good car, my grandfather has one and LOVES it, and Toyota has a new Corolla out this year that is hybrid. They will cost less on your insurance, and your parents will get a tax break on their income taxes. But, if you really do want an SUV, I had a Toyota Rav 4 and liked it, but for my next car i'm going to get a Mercury Mariner Hybrid, the top notch one because it will be the last one I get for a long time. On the white, make sure you also realize that it will pick up dirt more easily and you might have to wash it more often. (Black also picks up a lot of dirt) Enjoy your new car!!! PS-I have a Mazda 3 2006 year right now and pay about $100 on insurance a month, I have no accidents, or tickets, and my car is red. :) PPS-in response to the answer below me...my SUV got about the same gas mileage as my Mazda 3 does now

Your mom is right. There are several factors that go into determining price of insurance, but it is always higher for teens and for more valuable cars. SUVs are more likely to get stolen than other cars, so the companies charge more to insure them.

Also, just because you can afford to buy a car doesn't mean you can afford to use it. Remember that gas will cost a lot more for an SUV as well. Unless you really need it, I don't see any sense in getting one. If you're trying to impress someone, then that's just lame.

For someone so young you sure have your sights set on fancy ride. Drive a Gremlin for awhile and then when you're older and can afford it buy your SUV. Insurance will not be 'cheap' for you and I doubt you'll be able to afford the gas, car payment and insurance at your age and your $550 month will easily be gone on the insurance and car payment alone.

Are you talking about new or used explorers, because that makes a big difference right there. Personally I recommend a small car like a Ford Focus because they are cheap, reliable and get good gas mileage and cheap insurance.

in case you like gas economic device you only isn't getting something the dimensions of an Explorer or X-terra. They make my H3 look like an economic device motor vehicle. trycontinual something like a Chevrolet Trailblazer with the inline 6 cylinder engine, a Mazda Tribute/Ford get away/Mercury Mariner, Ford part, stay sparkling of Nitro/Jeep Liberty, Jeep Patriot, Hyundai Santa Fe, and so on. the only automobiles i could advise staying faraway from are the Toyota, Honda, Kia, and Suzuki automobiles. they are poorly made and can value you a equipment deal to maintain using stupidity got here across under the hood. i does no longer advise the Nissans using fact they are plenty worse on gas than a motor vehicle of that length might desire to be.