Is Riverside, California a nice place to live? I am thinking of moving there from Massachusetts.?

Is Riverside, California a nice place to live? I am thinking of moving there from Massachusetts.

Favorite Answer

HAHAHAHA, this made me laugh. My boyfriend called me and told me to answer this question. I can give you plenty of reasons to change your mind about moving to southern Cali. I was born and raised in Riverside County. In a little city called Mira Loma (kind of a village of Riverside about 10 minutes from down town). Back in the 80's it was a wonderful place to live. However, not so much anymore. To start, the cost of living in California is so high, that my mom's little half acre of land is worth over 300,000 dollars. Not only that, but during the summer, the smog is so bad, that not even1 mile ahead is visible. I used to live where you could see the mountains from my front yard. Not during the summer. It's so bad, that you can see the haze of smog sitting in trees a quarter of a mile down the road. The traffic, don't get me started. I used to drive a 25 miles to Orange County every day for work. It would take me an hour in the morning to get there and an hour and a half in the evening to get home. The streets and freeways are way crowded and you should plan to sit in traffic every day. Riverside is surrounded by Rialto, Ontario, Moreno Valley, Corona, Orange County, and on to Los Angeles county. So it is one big huge metropolitan area. Not only that, but the sprawl (development houses that are 5 feet apart, 500,000+ per house in cul-de-sacs surrounded by walls) is absolutely the worst I have ever seen. I had read that Riverside County was number 2 had the biggest sprawl development behind Florida. Mira Loma used to be farm land and now has been bought and built over by more developers only to put more people than the freeways and streets can handle. Not to mention that illegal aliens are the absolute worst! They are disgusting, will blast their horrible music at all hours of the night, throw trash in their yards, pee outside in broad daylight, and can't freaking drive!!!!!!!!!!! Also, like someone had mentioned, Meth! I read somewhere that Riverside and San Bernadino was one of the top 10 cities with the biggest meth problem. Now Riverside IS 45 minutes from L.A. and about 30 or 40 minutes from the nearest beach and mountain, but totally not worth it. I moved out of California and I will NEVER go back!!! I am now happy in Louisiana. My family still lives there and I hear that crap is still hitting the fan. Anywho, if you still want to move to California, Northern Cali is beautiful. You have access to the beach and mountains all in one. Above San Fran of course. Hope this changes your mind before you make a HUGE mistake.

Source(s): Lived in Riverside 22 years to long!!!!!!!
  • Lisa

I grew up in Riverside.. Now I live in orange county and I'm miserable. Comparing the 2 I wish I could move back to riverside, the housing is so much cheaper and I feel like there are way less bad areas then orange county. I would look into the area of orange crest in riverside you can use the streets van buren and trautwein as an example.. Its all newly built and very nice, the schools are great, nice and safe neighbors.. But you mentioned LA.. True its not far, but you maybe haven't experienced CA traffic yet? On a friday at 5pm it could take you 3-4 hours to get to la... I think its a great place, I wish I could move back...

I was born and raised in Orange County, but I longed to live in the country because of the natural beauty, slower pace, etc. Well, I got my wish. I moved to Georgia and it has been one bad thing after another. I still don't want to return to California though because you need a lot of money to live decently. You must have a top-notch job or have a partner to get ahead. It's not a good place for singles. It's a very good place for college-educated people, but even then it is sooooo expensive!

Riverside has some really nice areas, but it gets very hot. I worked in Riverside before and also lived in San Bernardino County which is 20-30 minutes out from Riverside. Corona is right next to Riverside and is building up a great deal. Corona has increasing diversity. If you have a good career, you will probably love it. There are certain careers that guarantee you a job, like nursing. You can go anywhere in California with a nursing degree. If you don't have college, you may have to find work in Orange County.

You really want to live as close to your job as possible. Areas like Irvine in Orange County have lots of jobs, but if you have to drive home to Riverside, I don't think you will like that one bit. The traffic is unbearable. The freeways are immense and packed.

Lol on the person whose answer included a stereotypical depiction of illegal immigrants....but I can tell ya that Riverside is not bad or good place to live.....Like any city it has it's ups and downs. I live near the University and I find Riverside to be very nice. But it's not like that through out the city, there are sections of the city that you just don't want to be in...

Ask your self what kind of person u r. If you like a lot of diversity and u like to go out a lot to socialize, riverside is not for you....this city can be quite boring.

• julez

It has some nice places and some not so nice places. It is expensive to live here. I live in Riverside CA. and couldnt imagine living anywhere else. You will have the mountains and the beaches relatively close by. There is great night life, but tons of traffic. I have had several friends who moved here from back east (especially new england states: maine, conneticut, and Delaware). Their biggest complaint is the traffic and how many people there are here. Do your homework and really make sure its a move you want to do.

try moving to murrieta, ca. it is one of the top safest places in cali to live. riverside from all the times i been there and my cousins used to live there it was not a bad place to live. well maybe the reason is bcuz im from rialto, ca which is really close to riverside. thats a place u dont want to live.

If you want to live in a ghetto wannabe orange county that is uber dirty and no green go ahead. Seriously if you want to move to California choose a different city. I have lived in riverside all my life and the air is nasty. Its surrounded by mountains so all the smog from LA is blown out here by the coastal winds and other crap out here. The people are unfriendly and housing is super expensive and it is very crowded.

ok thiis is serious, i have worked in riverside 100's of times , I was raised in southern cal. riverside is a pit. there are 250'000 people there . its hotter than hell in the summer , its freezing in the winter , its a huge slum, high crime, a bunch of street gangs , the worst meth problem in the county, the worst thing about riverside is where its located, on the northside of the city are the san bernadino mountains , these mountains trap smog in the city of riverside , the smog layer is totally visable year around . the air quality is way worse than L.A.

it sucks

jethro

i personally think it's not that great place to live. One of my friend used to live there, but it's not very safe, and also not with the great neighborhood. My friend moved from there in couple of months. But now he is moved in a good place which is not very far from Riverside. He is in Glendale now, and he has got really good apartment with a really good neighborhood.

you can also try Burbank may be.

I hope it helps. All the best to you.

no way. The only reason people move there is b/c they can't afford coastal cities. Look into San Diego, much nicer and cheaper than LA and Orange County.

• Blake3 years agoReport

Try looking into either Phoenix or Tucson, AZ. They are just a little bit more hot than Riverside, and cheaper, less crime, less smog, less people problems, etc....