Bank that will not screw you??

I've been with Wells Fargo bank for about 5 yrs now, and all of a sudden my account has gone negative b/c of a stupid trip that i agreed to go on(but that's another story)- and they screwed the hell out of me with late charges. I would like to change banks b/c i feel that i was not treated fairly, anyone have any reccomendations?

Favorite Answer

There will be always late charges if you don't have enough funds to pay, but you are right about some b/s banks like Wells Fargo itself that charge for talking to customer service over the phone, at my opinion you should try Washington Mutual, or if you don't want to switch bank you should apply for a credit card with Wells and put as a back up for your checking account so that way every time you overdraft they will charge your c.c. instead of getting you a n.s.f fee, consult to someone at your bank.

If you're talking about overdraft fees, then I'm afraid you won't be able to find a bank that doesn't charge them. I'm sorry you feel you got screwed, but realize that the bank is taking a chance that you won't repay the money, so they have to offset the loss--they're essentially giving you an unsecured loan. Most banks charge OD fees between $25-40. If this is your first time overdrawn, you may want to try calling someone at the bank. Explain your situation, and sometimes they'll go ahead and pay some, or all of the fee. If you're habitually overdrawn, don't expect any favors.

Realize that having a checking account is a privilege, not a right. The responsibility ultimately rest on YOU to keep track of your finances. If you're having trouble, talk to your banker--he/she would be glad to help.

Source(s): I used to manage a bank office.

I find Wells Fargo is the best bank to deal with as long as you follow the rules. They have many incentives that make them better than some of the other banks I used to do business with.

It sounds like you messed up and are mad at them because they caught you and charged you the fee's they said they would charge you if you broke the rules. If that is the case, that does not make them a bad bank, but you have to remember, they are a business like anyone else... they are not in the business to give you free money.

• nimo22

Every bank you use will charge you a fee if you are overdrawn. So if you consider that as "screwing you" then it will be impossible for you to find a bank that won't do that. Every bank provides information regarding fees and charges, they give it to you when you open your account and if anything changes they send you an updated copy, in most cases you will be charged an overdraft fee for every transaction you make after the balance gets to zero or below.

• Flyboy

You weren't "screwed". Any late charges came as a result of your actions and were spelled out in the contract you agreed to when you opened your account with the bank. You may not like this but it is part of growing up: Take responsibility for your own actions.

every bank is the same. some banks fees are different but other than that.every bank will charge you overdraft fees and more misc fees if you overdraw your account. a bank account is your responsibility. remember to record your transactions daily and keep a running total so you are aware how much money is in your account. use internet banking to help you keep track of your balance. better money mangement will go a long way.:)

YOU screwed yourself if you can not keep a checking account that is NOT negative then no one wants you as a customer.