promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 1 decade ago

Question about RENT The Musical?

Why does Roger call Benny's wife "Muffy"? Benny corrects him and says "Alison" - which is her real name. I have seen RENT many many times and still don't know why. I also searched everywhere on google and can't find the reason.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Ashley
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Roger calls her Muffy (and with an affected accent) because he's making fun of the fact that Benny married into a upper class/WASP-ish family. Mark and Roger felt abandoned by Benny because he used to be "one of them" before he married into money, which is a point of contention throughout the show. "Muffy" (along wth other names such as Bunny or Biff) is a very old-school WASP-y name, so he uses it to highlight the class difference.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Roger calls Benny's wife "Muffy" simply to mock him. You don't know why he spicificlly chose Muffy, if it was an inside joke, or a pet name, it was simply chosen to be used by Jonathan Larson. It does give you room to be imaginitive though. If you're into fan fiction you could write a story about how Roger came upon calling Allison, "Muffy." Hope that helps!

Jane Marie

• 1 decade ago

Her real name is Allison, and Roger just likes to piss Benny off.

Source(s): I'm like the biggest RENThead ever!!!
  • 1 decade ago

its fun annoying benny.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

idk

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.