Why are fish & chip shops closed on a Monday - is it a religious edict?

Favorite Answer

It's annoying though! Wouldn't be so bad if they had a rota like chemists.

At those restaurants that serve fresh fish, the cost of fish is somewhat more on Mondays and fresh fish are available in lower quantities. In years gone by these reasons were stronger than today, since Mondays are the least likely day for people to eat fish anyway, this is the most practical day for most restaurants not to offer it.

• Louise

It used to be the day they collected the fish years ago. None of the chip shops where I live are close on a Monday. It must all be frozen rubbish

Haven't heard of chippy's being closed on Mondays, but fishmongers are closed because there is no fishing on Sundays, therefore no fresh fish. I suppose this does have a religious reason - Sunday being a day of rest.

It is to do with the deliveries. They don't get a delivery of fresh fish on Monday morning's so they keep monday as there day off.

Because fisherman did not work on Sundays so the fish would not be fresh on Monday

my fish and chip shop round my area never closes on a monday.

maybe they jus need a day off for once.

They aren't where Iive, two on the road near me opened this morning at 11 00,they usually close through the week at midnight,1:00 a.m. weekends,

• Unfortunately never been to England, but I did read once about the fish and chips being served on newspapers. Is it really customary, or was this only one particular restaurant or pub?

And the Lord said monday Thou Shalt Sleep Late

• KitKat

Monday is the slowest day in any business. If they want a day off, Monday is the day to do it.