Do you trust our allies in the Middle East in the war on terror?

Guns given to Iraq forces are missing

Pentagon can't find 190,000 rifles, pistols - some fear they may be in insurgents' hands

Glenn Kessler, Washington Post

Monday, August 6, 2007

Printable Version Email This Article del.icio.us

Digg

Technorati

Reddit Slashdot

Fark

Newsvine

Google Bookmarks

Georgia (default)

Verdana

Times New Roman

Arial

(08-06) 04:00 PDT Washington -- The Pentagon has lost track of about 190,000 AK-47 assault rifles and pistols given to Iraqi security forces in 2004 and 2005, according to a new government report, raising fears that some of those weapons have fallen into the hands of insurgents fighting U.S. forces in Iraq.

The report from the Government Accountability Office indicates that U.S. military officials do not know what happened to 30 percent of the weapons the United States distributed to Iraqi forces from 2004 through early this year as part of an effort to train and equip the troops. The highest previous estimate of unaccounted-for weapons was 14,000, in a report issued last year by the inspector general for Iraq reconstruction.

The United States has spent $19.2 billion trying to develop Iraqi security forces since 2003, the GAO said, including at least $2.8 billion to buy and deliver equipment. But the GAO said weapons distribution was haphazard and rushed and failed to follow established procedures, particularly from 2004 to 2005, when security training was led by Gen. David Petraeus, who now commands all U.S. forces in Iraq.

The Pentagon did not dispute the GAO findings, saying it has launched its own investigation and indicating it is working to improve tracking. Although controls have been tightened since 2005, the inability of the United States to track weapons with tools such as serial numbers makes it nearly impossible for the U.S. military to know whether it is battling an enemy equipped by U.S. taxpayers.

Favorite Answer

when there is a profit to make out of peoples misery and suffering, believe me all sorts of excuses and money grabbers will show up, like thirstily mosquito's.

everything is based on lies and we know what else. so many

of them make a whole lot of profit by crushing and destroying,

our believes and trust.

and for what PROFIT and who cares what really happens

after words.

and most of us letting our leaders and the rest to pull our strings the way that they want. and we follow them just

like bunch of dimwits sheep's. by believing and trusting to every word from their mouths.

• Bob Mc

I'm not surprised that many arms we've supplied have been captured or stolen by the insurgents as they've killed many armed soldiers and, therefore, had many guns to take off the dead bodies. What worries me about the accuracy of the article if the fact that it states that 190,000 AK-47 rifles have been lost. We neither manufacture nor but this type of rifle as it had been a mainstay of Communist forces for the last 50 some odd years and is not accepted as a rule of thumb by any U.S. service. I don't know why we would sell or equip any forces in the Iraqi area with a gun which we see as the symbol of anti-Americanism. It leads me to question the article's truthfulness.

Well, that is determined by the day and who she occurs to be speaking to on the time. But I'll supply it a shot. What day is it? Thursday? Hmmm...good, in these days I suppose she's rather going to 'get rough' with the ones rascals. Tomorrow, who is aware of? She might desire to only speak to them or have them over to the Lincoln bed room. That's the object approximately the Clintons, they do not have a 'stance' according to se. Not one that you just might rather pin down or one who remains in anyway consistant. I imply we are speaking approximately the couple that made the word, "That is determined by what the which means of is...is." As a influence, your query can't be spoke back.

• Janice

It all comes down to this. Every country has their own sets of beliefs. They may be your ally one minute, but they will always look out for number one. I believe that Saudi Arabia has the greatest influence in the Middle East and greatly influences the American government's ways of thinking. Saudi Arabia claims to be a low-key player, while at the same time, it's shuffling two decks. In short, it is nice to have allies, but you can't trust any person or government 100%. Also, our Middle Eastern allies are going to look out for themselves before they conform to the United States.

There is no war on terror. There is a war of terror waged by the Yanks and the Brits against the Arabs for oil and power. The only ally they have in the region is Israel. The only reason Israel is their ally is because they support it. All else is lies.

I think it still comes down to politics, I mean the various allies' leaders will have to go with their popularity votes among their voters. And that may be one of the key factor in deciding their support level for America.

The only true Middle Eastern ally that America has is Israel. Of that you can be sure.

That's not a question that's a book. I haven't time to read it and if I did I'd have forgotten the beginning when I got to the end.

Such a surprise too. This whole Iraqi war having, up until now, run like clockwork. Well planned, well executed ......

• zahid

your only ally in Mideast is Israel,yes most of Americans trust them ,

But sooon you will do to them , Hitler X 10.