If you got fired from a job is it a good idea to list that job on your resume. ?

I worked there for a year and a half. Just wondering if it's ethical to list the job.

Favorite Answer

This is a tough one. A lot of big companies will only verify that someone was employed or not. Some might offer if the employee left in good standing or not. But companies tend to be afraid of liability so they will not offer details at all.

Find out what your company's policy is. Heck, you might even try calling as if you were a potential employer to see what they say or offer when asked about your status and standing with the company. ("I'm calling to verify employment for so and so. I have here that she worked from start date to end date. Did she leave in good standing with the company? May we ask why her employment ended with you?")

Those answers will give you an idea about how you will handle this.

Having a gap of 1 1/2 years on your resume could do damage so you really want to know if they will only verify employment or if they give some information.

If you do list the job, you must be truthful about why you left. You can find a way to put the most positive, professional spin on it (My leadership at Company A and I could not come to an agreement on how duty 1 should be performed and in the end it was better if we parted ways. My employment was terminated. I learned so much from the experience and would do such and thus differently.). You can't bad mouth the leadership or the company. It must be discussed very professionally and what you got from the experience.

For sure don't list a supervisor unless they can give you a positive reference. I can't believe how many people list references that don't actually have anything positive to say about the former employee.

If the company is gabby about why you were let go, you might look into HR laws in your state. There tends to be legal limitations on what they are allowed to discuss and if your former company is crossing those boundaries then you have some action you can take.

After all of this, I think it would probably be worth your time and money to work with a career counselor. DBM is someone I've worked with in the past and found to be tremendously helpful. They aren't cheap but this is your career you are talking about here.

Its ethical to put it on your resume. While in interview if the topic is raised say that this and this happened so I got fired but I am an ethical employee so I wanted to mention that in my resume.

Now the interviewing person will appreciate your honestly and being ethical and will think that you could have not mentioned that in the resume but you did, I understand this will leave a good impression to the person.

Good luck !!

You should list it because if you don't most potential employers will want an explanation as to why you were not working during that year and a half. On the application, you can always indicate that you do not want them to call that previous employer and you do not have to list why. (I left a job many years ago w/out notice - on apps I say that I was looking for better advancement opportunities or looking to return to school)

Or... from the standpoint of a previous employer, when someone calls to check on your past employment history, all that employer is allowed (by law) to say is that you worked there from X-month of X-year to Y-month of Y-year, and yes/no if they would hire you again. Legally, if they say any more than that they can get into deep trouble (ie. lawsuits - and future potential employers are not allowed to ask more than that either) because it can prevent you from attaining future gainful employment.

Remember, you are in control of how much info you divulge on previous employment (ie. don't focus on being released from service, but rathar your strong points and why you are suited to the position you are applying for). You can "spin" it as you like. Ethically speaking, don't lie, but don't give damming evidence against yourself either. (and never say anything negative about a past employer during an interview)

Source(s): Management

if you got fired it doesn't make sense to list them because they probably wont give you a good reference. but you should list them to show that you can hold down a job.

Depends on why you got fired.