How to fix a bump feed weed wacker?

I was using my bump feed weed eater (string trimmer) when the string broke and went inside the head of the weed wacker. I was told you need to open the head to feed the string back through the holes butI don't know how to open the head.

okay thanks guys I figured it out. The reasons i couldn't unscrew it was because The little pieces of plastic sticking off to help you unscrew it were worn off by bieng bumped so much (It's and olw weed eater). Also, Chuck , please don't call me "Nicky" .

Best Answer

Turn the machine so that the bottom of the head and the bump knob are on top and you are looking straight down on it. Push in and turn the knob counter-clockwise then pull out on the bump knob. This will pull the center out of the head. The string is wound around this center. Pull the string through the hole and once you have the line fed back through, push the center back into the head while turning clockwise.

Source(s): www.needlawnmowerparts.com

Weed Wacker Heads

Nick, It should be a reverse tread. You will need to flip the w/e over and look at the way it normally rotates. The opposite direction will loosen the head and you will find the string inside. Make sure that you use the same diameter string to replace it with, or it will bind up on you. The owners manual will have the diameter needed in it. Or you can take a piece with you to check at the hardware or discount retailer.

Source(s): Owner's Manual and experience

Mine has a big round knob on the bottom that threads off. Sometimes it's real tight and I have to use a pair of slip joint pliers to get it off.

I got so mad about this same thing happening all the time that I went and bought a replacement head that uses pre-cut string pieces that can be replaced in about 5 seconds. I highly recommend this type of head.

Depends on the brand, most of them are pull apart. Some of them have tabs that have to be pressed in and then pulled apart. It is just the inside part of the head that comes off. There is not a single string trimmer manufacturer that uses a bolt on head or spool.

it will usually twist off or pop off some how. I too also had weed wacker troubles this weekend while cutting my brothers yard. the string would break and loose itself inside of the head, the catch was that the head was broken so that it did not twist off so i went to home depot and bought a new head for 19.99$. works great now!!

when you're weed wacking and you hit the bottom of the wacker on the ground it feeds out more line stuff for a bigger circumference of area. Don't feed out too much line though and be like me and chop a piece of my shoe off. I like to do yard work high. :^}

It either has a large screw cap that you need to turn Nicky or a couple of tabs on the side you need to compress to expose the wheel where you will be rewinding the new cord onto. Good luck..

What a petty jerk.. "please don t call me Nicky" how about you re welcome.