When a piece of jewelry has a "925 Trademark", what does that mean?

I been looking at jewelry online and I have seen a pattern with some of the items...in the description, it states "jewelry has 925 Trademark" and I was wondering if anyone knew the specifics on that or if it was a good or bad thing (real vs. fake). Thanks

Favorite Answer

925 means that the piece is "92.5% pure silver and 7.5% other metals usually copper. this is usually the better jewlery becuase 99.9% silver is too soft to make anything that you might wear daily. even real silver dinner wear is 925 otherwise if it was 100% silver your fork would bend with the weight of the food.

Tiffany's has the 925 trademark right on the charms.

Source(s): used to work in a jewlery shop also checked out this site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_silver

What Does 925 Mean On Jewelry

Someone answered that if a piece of jewelry doesn't have the .925 Stamp, then it's a "fake". This is not necessarily true. If you were looking at older jewelry, say Art Deco 1920-1935, it might not say 925. Quite often it says "sterling", sometimes "silver" and sometimes nothing at all. It was later that the practice of stamping with 925 became standard. The only way to be sure of theses older pieces is to test. Acid test is best, but a quickie check is to use a magnet. Silver is NOT drawn by a magnet, but non silver & silver plate will be drawn to it because of the base metal.

Source(s): Avid Art Deco jewelry collector

1

Source(s): Discover Numerology http://renditl.info/NumerologySecrets
  • owusu

925 Jewelry

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): piece jewelry quot 925 trademark quot mean: https://biturl.im/qYBTY

925 means that it is a genuine sterling silver product. If it has no stamp on it then it is not real-usually nickel or surgical steel, something of that nature. Definitely buy jewelry that has a stamp, always check by the clasp (thats usually where it is).

Source(s): I work at a jewelry store
  • Laurie

usually 925 means sterling silver

It means because it is Sterling silver. Sterling silver is 93% silver and 7% copper. The 925 can mean either .925 silver or 92.5% silver.

Source(s): Chemistry

925 trademark normally means it is sterling silver and that it is pure not just nickle plated in some cheap silver material! Hope that helps!