How do I get Spec Home plate glass mirrors off 3 bathroom walls?

We are remodeling and need help with getting 3 ugly plate glass mirrors off 3 bathroom walls..any help and suggestions on how to get them off the walls would be greatly appreciated.....

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

had to do exact same thing.Rent or buy a hand held glaziers(glass worker) suction tool.Starting at one of the top corners,attach the suction device 6" from the top and 6" in from the side.then place a small flat pry bar on the top edge 4" from the side.GENTLY pry the mirror out 1/8 to 1/4 inch.move suction over 6" and with pry bar centered above suction device,repeat.Continue across top of mirror.then go back to starting point and this time pry mirror away from wall approximately 3/4 to 1 ".Continue across top of mirror.Then move suction device down approx. 10 " and repeat.The mirror is attached to the wall with a silicone based adhesive and you are trying to break the bond.As you are prying the mirror,you will "feel" where the silicone spots are.Just work slow and gently.

• Bart S
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

My suggestion is a string off a Base Fiddle. The ones that look like a violin on steroids! LOL Available at any music store.

Anyway these strings should be long enough to go behind the glass and cut the mastic holding the glass to the wall. This method will not be as much chance of breakage.

** Remember to wear thick leather gloves and safety glasses**

You never know when the glass might break and cut deep!

Source(s): This is the method I use to cut windshields out of demolition derby cars unbroken!
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.