I bought a universal ceiling fan remote, and the receiver won't fit. How can I solve this?

I bought one of those universal ceiling fan wall remotes, the kind that have the speed buttons and the light button on it, from lowes the other day. When I went to install it, I realized the receiver would not fit inside the little dome where the fan is mounted. I tried sliding the receiver through the mounting... show more I bought one of those universal ceiling fan wall remotes, the kind that have the speed buttons and the light button on it, from lowes the other day. When I went to install it, I realized the receiver would not fit inside the little dome where the fan is mounted.

I tried sliding the receiver through the mounting bracket, I tried sliding it into the electric box, and nothing seems to work where I could get it to fit properly.

I returned it to the store, but found that all the universal remotes they have all have the same receiver. I also checked Home Depot, and their remotes have the same receiver too, or one of the exact same size.

The wiring in my house is old, so I can't use one of those three wire switches.

Is there any way I can get one to work? Or any place I can find a remote with a different size/style receiver?
1 answer 1