Kelly asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

What is a Hoisin sauce and where can I buy it?

I've searched a recipe which is Chinese Chicken Barbecue and it stated there that hoisin sauce. I want to know about it and what is the best substitute for it if ever I can't find one here in the Philippines.

Favorite Answer

Hoisin sauce is a chinese barbecue sauce used for grilling or even stir fry. Smoky taste and a good spice mixed in. Usually you can find it in the grocery stores in the Philippines. I'm from the Philippines, specifically Cebu, and I saw it in Rustans or Metro Gaisano in the sauce aisle.I don't know what would be a good substitute for it since it has a really unique flavor and spice but if you want to try a recipe I have, its a mix of butter, catsup, sugar and curry power.Sweet on bbq (sticks) and even pork belly. I think you can even substitute chinese 5 spice powder fr the curry powder to probably have it close to hoisin

• Made from fermented soy beans, this reddish brown sauce is both sweet and spicy. It is almost always a combination of soybean paste, sugar, garlic and vinegar. The Chinese use Hoisin as a condiment and glaze for roasted meats, most commonly with Peking Duck. Ming uses it in marinades and grilled dishes. When adding to a dish, be sure to cook the hoisin in oil for a few minutes to rid it of the raw bean flavor.

You can purchase it right at Walmart or your local grocery store near the chinese food products- like LaChoy, etc

You can also make your own:

1 tablespoon oil for stir-frying

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

1 teaspoon chopped ginger

6 tablespoons hoisin sauce

1 tablespoon dark soy sauce

2 tablespoons water

1/4 teaspoon salt

a few drops sesame oil

1 1/2 teaspoons chile paste, or to taste

1 tablespoon chopped peanuts

Heat the oil in a wok over medium-high to high heat. Add the garlic and ginger. Stir-fry briefly until aromatic. Turn the heat down to medium and stir in the other ingredients. Heat through and remove from the stove. Cool & Store in Fridge

At the supermarket or an asian grocery store, but usually it's right by the rice noodles and soy sauce.

try any supermarket