Do drug test administrators have be certified in the workplace?

I was asked, as a security guard, to give an employee a drug test. I am not certified in any way to do this. I never received training on the companies policies at my site. I was only told where the cup was and to record the results on a plain piece of paper. Shouldn't there have been a record sheet where the serial number from the test to go? This just doesn't seem like it would be legal. Please, please let me know if this was ok. Links or resources with proof of the regulations would be great!

Favorite Answer

There exist strict Federal regulatory guidelines for the drug testing and collection-for good reason. I am the MRO (Medical Review Officer) for my lab in my medical practice (in the US). For drug testing to be valid and legally binding the key thing is that proper "chain of custody" and collection is followed. This refers to ensuring that the specimen is real (temp check of urine on temp strip, direct observation, and or specific gracity of the sample). Chain of custody is very stringent and refers to the handling of the specimen, sealing it, having the donor and observer check on and sign the form, sign/initial th adhesive label that goes over the lid, etc.

As you can see, it is a bit complicated and for good reason. There must be assurances that it is valid and accurate for fairness to the employee and the employer.

Being this important and complex, persons that are responsible for urine collection for drug screening should go through appropriate training. There is no official certification title, but samples are usually collected by trained personnel at a certified laboratory collection site.

Sounds like you were asked to do something you were not adequately trained to do. You certainly have no liability here, but if the results are positive, it should be easy for the donor to dispute them based the collection procedure alone.

My advice tell your company safety or personnel director that you either need formal training or the employees should be sent to the lab!

Tell them you're there to catch burglars not urine specimens!

For more info gOOgle "chain of custody collection" or "drug testing"

Source(s): Me-I'm an MRO (drug screen Medical Review Officer)

The rules everyone is citing refer to the Department of Transportation Regulations. Most companies follow them even though it is not a requirement for anyone but transportation workers.

You company is skating on very thin ice. If they do not hire someone because of a positive drug screen, the employee has the right to challenge that. Without the above regulations, you cannot even prove it is the same sample. The employee would win for sure.

There are some alternative tests now available that involve taking a swab from the subject's mouth and then rubbing it on some sort of test strip. This can be done in an office without any training. Even then, if it was positive, I would suggest accompanying the subject to a certified collection site for a urine test for confirmation.

Source(s): Former HR Manager

No, they don't have to be and there is no law that says that they do....b/c companies are not required to drug test at all.

However, your company is setting themself up for a major lawsuit if they use the average Joe to administer a drug test with no training whatsoever, for the very reasons that the previous have stated....the chain of control is very, very important, and integrity of the sample...that is why your company is setting themselves up.

you don't say what state your from,but you're right there are regulations about this

all the tests you gave are null and void

you and your company can be sued

call a lawyer asap

there is no exception to the rule. everybody MUST BE CERTIFIED.