The Weed Fairy asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Found a newborn orphaned kitten?

Yesterday morning I found a newborn orphaned kitten behind my pet store. It's eyes are not open yet, its about 2 days old now.

It was beneath a big wood pile and crying like crazy.

It was covered in ants, flies and eggs. We cleaned it off pretty well. There were also maggots in its one eye. We used tweezers and got 3 out, dont think there are any more. we cleaned it all up, it looks better now.

ive been feeding it replacement formula but it only takes a little bit at a time, like less than a teaspoon. and making it go to the bathroom by stimulating it. It seems to be doing ok but i almost have to force it to eat. I am worried she wont survive.

does anyone have any extra advice??? or anything....

thanks! i appreciate any help, i know this will be quite a job to care for this kitten! but i have the time seeing as i work at a petstore.

Favorite Answer

I have 2 kittens now 8 weeks old that I was given at 1 day old. They are mucho work!! Try this site.

http://www.2ndchance.info/orphankitten.htm

Feed every 2 hours

Keep very warm.

Lots of touching.

Good luck! please read all the info you can!

a little less than a teaspoon sounds about right for a kitten that age. if you read the side of the formula can i THINK it says for every 2 ounces the kitten weighs it should eat a 1/2 ounce of formula in a 24 hour day. so if your kitten weighs a 1/2 a pound then it would need 1 and 1/2 ounces of formula spread out through the day and night. be sure to check the can as i could be off on the exact weight. it depends on the type of formula you buy.

the kitten i was taking care of who was about 6 days old had to be force fed until it was about 2 weeks old. it did not want the bottle so i ended up using a syringe and forcing it to eat.

once it learns to eat off a plate it will try more on its own.

it sounds like you are doing everything right.

also a kitten can't digest food properly if it's cold, so be sure the kitten is kept warm.

good luck with your new kitten.

Cows milk is ok, but it won't give it as much nutrients. You should at least get whole milk so it has better nutrients. Otherwise, if you are scared to do that, there are formulas (expensive) that are for kittens. Feed the kitten with a dropper or something because it won't be able to lap up anything yet. My kittens were 4 weeks old when their mommy passed away and we had to feed them like that until a week or two later when they could lap up milk. Keep in mind that because the kitten doesn't get the mommy's milk now, it may have small problems later. Not big problems, but for the longest time my kitties would try to suckle on our stuffed animals. Or, you kitty will be just fine.

The same situation happened with my first cat, Simba. My sister found him when he was a few days old and we didn't know if he would survive. What we did is we kept feeding him formula every few hours (it's like taking care of a real child) no matter if he didn't want to eat or not because he needs the proper nutrition to stay alive. The reason that he is crying is because he wants his mommy. The closest person to being his mommy would be you so you should take great care of him. If you can't handle the responsibility, you can take it to your nearest pet shelter but there is a possibility that the kitten could be euthanized (I would hate to see that). Hope all works out!

Well you seem to do everything right.

But i would take it to the vet as soon as possible. They can help the baby the way it should be taken care of. If you dont have the money to then animal shelters in your area are sure to help you with that.

Its honestly VERY important for the kittens survival to get it immediate vet care.

what your doing seems to be good things maybe just take it to a vet to get it checked out especially if there were bugs all over him once you make sure he is ok maybe you could find another mother cat that has just had kittens and she if she will care for him...if not you will have to be the mamma...good luck

Call your local animal shelter or take it to a local vet. If you know anyone with a momma cat who just gave birth you might see if she will accept your kitten. Take it to the vet though!

It sounds like you're on the right track so far, but I would definitely get it to the vet ASAP!! They can check for things that youmight not see on the surface.

u r doing fine I've had a few kittens from when they were newborns and my vet refused to see them until they were 6 wks old anyway. just keeping feeding kitty and helping her/him relieve theirself.

Call a vet and ask for their advice. I am sure feeding it the formula is all you can do, but call and make sure!