Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

I need a restraining order .I live in Houston,TX/ Harris County so I know the laws vary from?

state to state, county to county etc. This man with whom I used to live was abusive & had a drug problem from which he is now recovering. After trying for months to make things work I decided it was futile & ended our relationship last night.

His past behaviours have inculded incessant phone calls & voice mails : as many as 15 per day/night & he's shown up @ our house unannounced on several occasions most recently @ 1 am & that was the last straw. My mother wants him out of my life & I just want him to cut his crap but since he hasn't done any physical violence or damage I don't think I have grounds for a restraining order although I am very afraid of him. Do I?

*FINALLY* I also suffer from a mental illness & he knows that too: so when he starts his "tactics" I go into "histrionics" or hysteria? Is there some kind of legal "loophole" under which I could file a restraining order against him? He is a threat to my recovery from BPD, my emotional security & mental health.

Favorite Answer

Harrassment is grounds for a restraining order. You can go to the police and file a TRO or you can go to the Harris County Mental Health Court and have him committed for observation, based upon the stalking behavior.

Protect yourself first or there will be nothing to protect. This is not behavior consistent with recovery. If it goes on, he is going to use again and things will go from bad to worse. Don't think you are the only one who is mentally ill in this situation.

If you want my phone number (I am in Dallas), I will be glad to give it to you. Post a request here and I will respond by e mail.

Source(s): 20 years sober, BPD husband.
  • Mel

Houston Area Women's Center

(713) 528-6798

AVDA (Aid to Victims of Domestic Abuse)

(713) 224-9911

Houston Family Service Center

(713) 861-4849

Family Violence Program

(713) 528-2121

The Bridge Over Troubled Waters, Inc.

(713) 473-2801

Houston Police Department Victim Services Unit

(713) 308-0080

How a restraining order is issued

A court may first issue a temporary restraining order without prior notice to the defendant. Typically, the court later holds a second hearing for a permanent order. The plaintiff must appear at the second hearing if he or she wants the order extended and the defendant must appear if he or she wishes to contest the extension of the order. At the second hearing, the defendant has the right to be heard, to testify and to cross-examine the plaintiff. Representation by an experienced criminal defense firm is critical at this hearing. If the defendant does not appear at the hearing or presents an adequate defense, the order will usually be extended.

Effect of a restraining order

A restraining order can prohibit a person from contacting the victim, require him or her to vacate his or her home, and suspend visitation rights with minor children, all life-changing requirements. In some jurisdictions and under some circumstances, the order may also require you not to have a gun, to pay child support, or not to take children out of state.

The temporary order typically lasts until the next court date. At that time, the judge will either continue or cancel the order. A continued order can last for many years, depending on the jurisdiction and the circumstances. Child custody orders may have different end dates and usually last until the child turns 18.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

His past behaviours have inculded incessant phone calls...

Source(s): restraining order live houston tx harris county laws vary from: https://tr.im/CbSmK

Well if your receiving treatment for your problems then maybe you doctor could help. If he/she feels it is damaging to your recovery.

Also have you talked to the city or county prosecutor?

If noting else go to legal aide and get some advice from them. If your unable to pay they may even be able to file for you.

Sounds like you need to talk with the DA's Office, your doctor, Legal Aide and anyone else they might recommend.

Good Luck!

• DHL Express wants to file a restraining order against me for Harassment, which I never did. Please help me. DHL is mistreating a mentally ill person.

Harris County Protective Order

• nan

You should be able to get a R.O. for harrassment. Call the local P.D. and God bless.

how about for a former boss threatening you