Should I Learn Java or Forth?

I want to develop multimedia applications, I want to build 3D models and math modelling, I want to communicate between applications through the Internet, I want to create peer to peer information and file swapping, I want to edit audio files and image files, BUT I also want to interface with hardware using the USB port.

Should I learn Java or Forth ?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Multimedia applications are mostly implemented using specific authoring tools or programming languages, like Flash/ActionScript or Director. However, the development often requires high effort.

We propose a model-driven approach for the development of multimedia applications. Therefore we base on a modeling language, called Multimedia Modeling Language (MML), suitable to model the specific aspects of this application type, such as:

* integration of media objects,

* high degree of interaction,

* synchronization, and

* high importance of the user interface.

The modeling language corresponds as much as possible to the existing de-facto standard UML

Mathmetic and game prgramming

c, c++, JAVA

Audio and image

java,c,c++

peer to peer and file swapping

java

• 1 decade ago

Java.

Superbly documented , better supported, easier to learn and much better for your CV

You are, of course , going to have to learn more than just Java to achieve what you have outlined above. Almost certainly C/C++ especially communicating with real hardware (I guess you will need sockets, but depends on your applications) .

You will have to do server side scripting (PHPor CGI variant - perhaps Perl) especially if you want to communicate between applications over the internet. For internet database manipulation, mySQL also.

New applications will not have a recognised MIME type so there will be work done there also.

For the modelling I guess you know MML. For your editing , you are probably also going to have to study compression throroughly, but sounds like fun!

Best of luck.

• 1 decade ago

Java is widely used and supported. I am sure someone will argue with me, but Forth is currently a novelty language. To accomplish everything you want you might also have to learn C / C++ as Java normally must rely on C / C++ libraries for hardware support.

Source(s): Over a decade of software development.
  • 4 years ago

BOOKS... period. Start with a base language like C and work your way up. Absolute Beginners Guide To C By Greg Perry After You get a hold of C move up to C++, then go from there. Its going to take a while, so read up all the knowledge you can. All of the suggestions listed here are a good idea, But learning on your own can be hard, so be sure to ask any questions you have.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

JAVA. Its better to learn languages that are in demand if you want a career in programming.

• 1 decade ago

Java for sure

• 1 decade ago

java coz its very popular .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.