Should I Learn Java or Forth?

I want to develop multimedia applications, I want to build 3D models and math modelling, I want to communicate between applications through the Internet, I want to create peer to peer information and file swapping, I want to edit audio files and image files, BUT I also want to interface with hardware using the USB port.

Should I learn Java or Forth ?

Best Answer

Multimedia applications are mostly implemented using specific authoring tools or programming languages, like Flash/ActionScript or Director. However, the development often requires high effort.

We propose a model-driven approach for the development of multimedia applications. Therefore we base on a modeling language, called Multimedia Modeling Language (MML), suitable to model the specific aspects of this application type, such as:

* integration of media objects,

* high degree of interaction,

* synchronization, and

* high importance of the user interface.

The modeling language corresponds as much as possible to the existing de-facto standard UML

Mathmetic and game prgramming

c, c++, JAVA

Audio and image

java,c,c++

peer to peer and file swapping

java

Java.

Superbly documented , better supported, easier to learn and much better for your CV

You are, of course , going to have to learn more than just Java to achieve what you have outlined above. Almost certainly C/C++ especially communicating with real hardware (I guess you will need sockets, but depends on your applications) .

You will have to do server side scripting (PHPor CGI variant - perhaps Perl) especially if you want to communicate between applications over the internet. For internet database manipulation, mySQL also.

New applications will not have a recognised MIME type so there will be work done there also.

For the modelling I guess you know MML. For your editing , you are probably also going to have to study compression throroughly, but sounds like fun!

Best of luck.

Java is widely used and supported. I am sure someone will argue with me, but Forth is currently a novelty language. To accomplish everything you want you might also have to learn C / C++ as Java normally must rely on C / C++ libraries for hardware support.

Source(s): Over a decade of software development.

BOOKS... period. Start with a base language like C and work your way up. Absolute Beginners Guide To C By Greg Perry After You get a hold of C move up to C++, then go from there. Its going to take a while, so read up all the knowledge you can. All of the suggestions listed here are a good idea, But learning on your own can be hard, so be sure to ask any questions you have.

JAVA. Its better to learn languages that are in demand if you want a career in programming.

Java for sure

java coz its very popular .