Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 1 decade ago

what is the difference between a lake and a pond?

Is It the size or depth or what?

Favorite Answer

Geographical Glossary:

Lake:

Any accumulation of water surrounded by land, often of a considerable size. Larger than a pond but smaller than an inland sea.

Pond:

A small lake, surrounded by land. Most often found in a natural depression.

That's a good question, I heard that word for the first time on an English class and a pond was like a lake but much smaller with mood at the button. It gave me the impression it is like stuck water, not clean at all. Also... lakes get names, ponds don't. Probably it is the size.

A lake is larger and is not as muddy, as a pond. In lakes, you will find living species like fish and frogs. Lilly pads are where lakes are, and is the place for them to grow. Ponds are muddier then lakes, as I said and are smaller. You usually won't find living species in ponds, but ducks and geese do sometimes live near ponds. If there is a drought, a pond will dry up quicker and easier then a lake.

There is no strict distinction. Some people use "pond" only to refer to man-made bodies of water, and a pond is typically thought of as smaller than a lake. But the difference is subjective.

What you looked up was right. I think a lake actually empties into a larger body of water. And a pond doesn't have to.

I associate lakes with accumulated water bodies that have an inflow of water, normally a river, and an outflow, usually through a dam (man-made or natural).

Ponds may have a small stream or some such influx of water, normally from local rains, but usually have no outflow, except when pumped out.

I guess these are quite similar words, but pond is a small lake, i mean lake is bigger than pond.

it's the size for sure I think it has to be 10 acres to be a lake look it up in the dictionary

i think it's the shape. a pond is more circular, while a lake is longer and thinner- that's what i always thought at least.

It's the size as well as the depth.