asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Is it easy to clean a cat litter box?

So i'm thinking about getting a cat. & my mom are trying to know more about the responsibility of it before our minds are made up. Anyways one of my friends said its really difficult with the cat litter box because it smells really bad & its hard to clean. Is it true?

Best Answer

Well, it's urine and feces so it doesn't smell like cinnamon buns. But cat litter is made out of clay (the scoopable type is treated so it clumps) which absorbs the moisture--and there are litters made out of wood and corn and some other substances if you want to go with something a little more biodegradeable. The box will smell right after the cat uses it (poopwise) but if you keep it scooped, the box shouldn't reek badly. You can also buy an automatic litter box (for one cat, a Littermaid would probably be fine). Cleaning isn't hard. If you're using regular clay (regular litter, not the clumping type) litter, you can put a plastic bag or box liner in the box before you put the litter in so changing taking out the old used litter and putting in new litter is only a matter of wrapping up the plastic liner. With the clumpable litter, you just scoop out the used litter (uring will clump into a ball making it easy to scoop out) and you'll only have to replace litter once in a while. You do have to remember to clean it though--set up a schedule so you don't forget because many cats won't use a dirty litterbox (and they'll start going other places you don't want them to and it is almost impossible to get the smell out and to retrain the cat). Before you get your cat, make sure you have a practical, safe place to keep the litterbox--someplace that is always accessible to the cat, that is easily cleanable (cats will track almost any kind of litter). It's probably a bad idea to keep a the box in an area human sleep or eat or do food prep in (germs). The box also has to feel "safe" to the cat--not too exposed but not so hard to get to that the cat finds somewhere else to go. Hey, if millions of people keeping cats can clean the litter, how hard can it really be???

The only reason litter boxes smell is because the owners aren't cleaning it frequently enough. Litter boxes are really easy to clean. Buy a clumping litter. Put enough to cover the whole bottom of the tray and make sure there is a little extra so your cat can dig and bury. Make sure to scoop it daily. Every 3 or 4 days, take your box outside, dump the litter, and spray it out with a hose. The urine collects at the bottom and will not go away with simple dumping. That will keep your litter box clean and not smelling. Now, if your cat takes a stink bomb in there, it'll stink up your house lol, but get one of those litter boxes with a cover over it and that will eliminate that. Your cat will track litter on the floor after he or she has done its duty, so invest in a mat (you can get one at drsfosterandsmith.com) or just vaccum your carpet daily. Hope you don't think that is hard! It's just responsibility.

The most difficult thing about cleaning a litter box is the strain on the back as you bend over to scoop it out. But with just one cat, it should be a breeze- just make sure to do it frequently enough. Sometimes the urine can cake up the litter in a corner and you have to push a little harder to get it out, but that's it. As for the smell, it's really not that bad. It's worth the love a cat gives and most people have no problem dismissing it. Just place the box in an out of the way room, or in the basement.

Source(s): Cat owner

No it is not hard. If you use the right cat litter that will not smell and it is scoopable then it is not hard at all. I do it all the time and I clean out my cats litter box it is not hard at all . It is only hard when you make it hard and difficult. If you get a kitten or a cat the use Tidy cat crumble free cat litter for multiple cats and it will work without smelling up the house. Scoop it out 2 a day adn clean it out totally in the middle of the month and your Parents house will not smell. I use that cat litter and I clean it out totally in the middle of the month and I don't have the problem of the house smelling. I hope this will help.

I kept my cat inside for a while for her to get used to me and before she was desexed. I kep her in the laundry and that did smell like the kitty litter. Not the waste but the actual product. I was buying the cheapest one but there could be ones with less of an odor.It may have smelt worse because i always had the door closed and there was no air circulating in there. It is really easy to clean though. Use kitty litter liners so then to change the whole lot all you have to do is lift the whole plastic bag out, throw it out, add a new liner and add more kitty litter.

My cats litter box is in my room and I clean it out in the morning and at night and there is no bad smell, just make it a part of your daily routine, feed them, clean water every day, it is easy and not difficult at all

Source(s): my own cats

No, it's not really that hard to clean. It does stink, but you use a scoop, trash bags, and you add more kitty-litter. After a couple of days/weeks, I would get rid of all of the litter in it, then wash and dry the box so that it's not too nasty.

I cannot believe the results of your question! Anybody cleaning a litter tray has to be careful, and I was not even aware that self cleaning litter trays existed. I just wear rubber gloves, and for you I think a mask would be advisable. I put the litter in my dustbin bag, then wash the tray with a disinfectant wash - dry it well, then refill the tray with new litter.

ive had as many as 15 cats in my house at one time , i bought a dog litter pan and its very large and as long as i cleaned it out once a day , and people often commented they could not tell by the smell tht i had cats at all its just like the hygeine , we would want for ourselves when my toliet gets dirty i clean it , i could usually get 7 days out of 1 bag of litter when i had tht many

no its not hard at all and for the smell.. well i use tidy cats litter box deodorizer and it works very good.