Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 decade ago

What's the best champagne?

I know Moet is good, Dom Perignon, etc. But as far as quality goes, which one is really the best?

Favorite Answer

Champagne, like all wine, is better in certain years, or vintages. The best recent vintages for Champagne are 1996, 1990 and 1985. Each winery puts out different classes of Champagne (or cuvees) with Dom Perignon being the top cuvee from Moet & Chandon. The best cuvee from Veuve Cliquot is called La Grande Dame, the best cuvee from Salon is called Les Mesnil. The best from Louis Roderer is Crystal and the best from Pol Roger is Sir Winston Churchill. Most true wine connoisseurs consider the Sir Winston Churchill to be the very best of the best, as it is only made in certain years when the grapes are really good and it is named after Winston because it was the only Champagne he would drink! The myth about Dom Perignon being the best goes way, way back. He was a monk who actually re-invented the fermentation process to make Champagne what it is today. While it is very good in certain vintages, it is a bit over-hyped, a lot like Crystal.

The thing with Champagne is that that answer is going to change depending on each person you ask. Champagne comes in several different levels of 'dryness', so no matter what brand you get, that is also a factor. Champagne is like wine - it is all about personal taste. One good rule of thumb is this- if you are buying it in the US, ONLY Champagne from the Champagne region of France is actually Champagne. Read the label carefully - if it says 'sparkling wine' anywhere on it, it is not the real deal. These genuine Champagnes are going to be a little more expensive, but I guarantee you that any bottle you buy will taste great.

Free Champagne

I guess it's all subjective. Moet is good, I didn't like Dom, and my all time hands down favorite is Mumms. But only the California Mumms, not the French Mumms.

There's no such thing as "best" to me. It should be which one is best according to your personal taste. Like Pepsi vs. Coke.

My personal preferences are Veuve Cliquot anytime. For special occasions I like Dom Perignon. And if I can get it, I like their 1996.

It is an expensive question unless you live in France... For Americans, we mix Ripple with Sprite and call it, "Cham-pipple."