Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

JP L asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationFishing · 1 decade ago

Fishing Pacific Boninto in Santa Barbara, California?

I going camping at gaviota state park in SantaBarbara area. I was wondering about catching Pacific Boninto in August 11-13.

1. Is Pacific Boninto in season in Santa Barbara area.

2. What kind of bait should i use?

3. Is tide related to catching this fish?

4. How should i prepare to catch this fish?

Plus: Is there anyone who camp at Gaviota State Park and fished? Can you give a tip for fishing?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Santa Barbara is kind of far north for bonito. They're a warmer-water fish, and except in warmer water years you seldom see them inshore north of Santa Monica Bay. Also, they're not much of an inshore fish. (Bonito are a relative of the tunas, and don't venture into the surf.) At times you can catch the juveniles (13-18 inches) off piers, but the only times I've seen them caught from shore was in King Harbor, Redondo, where it's relatively calm and the water's warmed by the output from the Edison plant. I've caught them from boats anywhere from a quarter mile offshore to 50+ miles out.

All that being said, the best bait for bonito is live anchovies. If you don't have them, a bonito "splasher" rig works well off piers. You tie a "fly" (white or yellow feathers on about a 1/0 hook) on a 6-foot leader behind a plastic bobber half full of water. Cast it out, then splash it in, and the bonies will bite on the fly. Other than that, chrome lures (like a 1-ounce Krocodile) also work.

If you're fishing from shore in the Santa Barbara area, most likely you'll be getting surfperch or corbina. Soft-shelled sandcrabs, mussels,or sometimes cut anchovies or squid work for them. An 8-10 pound test spinning outfit with a 7-8 foot rod will work fine for these fish, as they live just behind the breakers. Some people like longer and heavier outfits to cast farther or especially if heavier sinkers are needed to hold bottom. Check with a local tackleshop for gear and bait.

Source(s): 30 years saltwater fishing http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mspcont1.html#bonito
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.