Eukodol asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Are 2-Disc Special Edition DVDs a Marketing Scam?

I just got the Special Edition 2-Disk DVD of "300", and it seems to me that they could've fit the paltry amount of bonus features onto the first disc. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I get the sinking feeling I've been suckered. Should I have waited to buy the Super Duper Director's Cut Mondo 300 Box Set?

Favorite Answer

...oh, absolutely!!!

Two very obvious prime examples of this, are the last two Quentin Tarantino projects; The powers that be convinced Tarantino to chop in half what was supposed to an epic length film, as as a result, we got "Kill Bill Volume One" and "...Volume Two" (...that's about $20-$24 in ticket sales per person, right there). Now, flash forward to the separate DVD releases (...there's another $30-$40 per household); finally, coming up in November of this year, the original epic-length film, entitled "Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair", will probably suck up yet another $25 to $30 per household!!!

Now, coming up in September and October, we have the separate DVD releases of "Planet Terror" and "Death Proof", the films that comprised the full-length theatrical film, "Grindhouse" (...that's $10-$12 per person, at the box-office, and $40-$50 per household, for both separate DVD releases); in a year or less, we'll more than likely get the original theatrical presentation of "Grindhouse", with yet another pockert-change-steal of $25-$30 per household...

Of course, the money-grubbing, stiff-shirted distribution and studio executive suits over at Dimension, are well aware of the prospects, here; and are of course, quick to exploit this...to the ultimate dismay of the unsuspecting consumer, as the suits wring their greedy hands in absolute delight!!! (Muw-Huh-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Haaaaaaaaa!!!)

...an insane marketing scam??? You bet your ***, and as far as "Grindhouse", the folks over at Dimension are not going to play me for the sucker again; it is my plan to forego the 2-disc special edition releases of "Death Proof" and "Planet Terror", in favor of the eventually-released, full-length presentation of "Grindhouse"....

It depends on how much you are paying.

Suppose you can pay $20 for a DVD and either get the original edition, or the special edition 2 DVD set. Naturally you'll choose the latter.

However, if the price is jacked up by, say, 50%, then I would say that it is a marketing scam because you're getting the movie regardless of whether or not you want to see the extra deleted scenes.

It is somewhat of a marketing scheme. Usually stuff that they include on the second disc, they could have easily fit on the first disc, expecially now with high-definition dvds. 2 discs makes it appear as if you are getting more. And for Americans this is a key sales booster since they want everything bigger and larger and more, just like their waistlines.

It's absolutely a scam. Unless you get the 2-disc set on a great sale (which you're not getting on "300" this week), then who really gives a crap about the 1 hour "making of" special?

That's about all you're getting; a bunch of nonsense you're not going to watch more than one time. Skip it and just get the movie (single disc).

The other one might be a scam too, if the first one is

probably