Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 decade ago

Need RAM for an OLD computer!?

The computer is a Compaq Presario 7462. It contains 64 MB 100 MHz SyncDRAM, shared memory architecture, two total DIMM slots upgradeable to 512 MB - 8 MB dedicated for video memory (SyncDRAM DIMM required). I purchased some RAM of e-bay and it didn't seem to work. It was a 256 MB PC100 DIMM SDRAM. The seller isn't answering my emails. What I would like is a website of a trusted memory seller or a link to a page in which I can purchase the RAM that is compatible with my computer.

P.S.- A link to the computers specification sheet is as follows http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument...

Favorite Answer

http://crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Pres...

And you can run Microsoft Crash Analysis on the ramm stick to see if it was a bum stick. Download, put it on a floppy and boot off the floppy. Let it run for about 30 minutes. That'll show you pretty fast if its a stinker. Crucial is V. good quality.

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint u but I do not seem to have a website u can actually get the particular RAM that wld work 4 ur laptop model.

However I wld like u to consider this: there r 2 kinds of RAM available - pc100 and pc133. Since u stated it was a pc100 DIMM SDRAM u actually bought, I wld suggest u but a pc133 DIMM SDRAM for the laptop. Try it out, @ least it worked for me when I tried it on an old system a couple of years back.

Good luck!

a million. this is been my journey that SIMMS in RAM could tournament. in case you do any extensive artwork as in video enhancing, 3-D animation etc, the workstation's motherboard might could desire to end numerous cycles to look at each and every economic business enterprise to get the RAM contents into BUS, which, in turn, might take numerous processors. 2. I used to artwork at Dell. have faith me, they're ok, they do no longer look to be maintainable to a third technology homebrew improve. That RAM in the Dell device labored because of the fact the engineers prepare gadget configurations in the lab with "run-b" supplier areas. Examples may be you will possibly get a SoundBlaster Card -- that's an outstanding PCI upload-on call -- yet Dell made a deal to get a greater cost-effective SoundBlaster board with a chipset which could have the main obsure, custom-written motive force to tweak the sound and connectivity. you will possibly later discover that the cardboard is valueless in maximum present day change-outs. 3. With mixed SIMMS your workstation will fail at boot, or after it gets the OS onboard, based upon which economic business enterprise have been given which SIMMS. If the OS lots there'll be no word of the different economic business enterprise SIMMS displaying bigger reminiscence.

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I'd buy a new computer if I were you. That comp is ancient and any kind of memory upgrades for it, if you can find it, will cost many times what the computer is worth.

You could buy a computer that is a couple years old for about what you paid for that memory on ebay, most likely. You can reuse your old monitor, keyboard and mouse, those are fine.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that the old compaqs required proprietary RAM modules. You can try compaq's web site, but my guess is that you'll probably have to go to Micro Center or similar store that resells comp. parts. You could try pricewatch.com and do a search, but don't know how successful that will be.

That computer is close to useless. If you find RAM that works, it will be expensive. Very expensive.

• Act D