Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

Feeling guilty?

Good morning everyone...I am feeling a little guilty this morning and I was hoping you folks would give me your opinion. My toddler has been sick with a bad ear infection. It started on Sunday night ..He was up ALL night long. Monday I took him to the doc and he was put on Omnicef. Monday and Tuesday night were nightmares!! However, he seems to be feeling better but I'm exhausted. I feel guilty because I know he is bored but I cant chase him around the house or play hide and seek because I feel weak and tired. Does this make me a horrible mom? Ok now I am crying because I feel so bad that I'm not doing things with him. Of course I have fed him and done all of the necessary stuff but he really wants to play....

Yes this is my first..lol

Favorite Answer

Feeling guilty is a sign of a great Mom because even when you are mentally and physically exhausted you think of your childs needs. But take it from this exhausted Mom, it's OKAY! And you are crying because you need a break.

It's easier said than done to tell you to just not feel guilty, but your son should be taking it easy anyways because he is still in recovery, so it is DEFINITELY okay to let him veg with his favorite DVD, or color, or play in his room.

Sometimes, when I want to overcome the "I'm too tired to play" guilt, I simply lounge in the same room where my kids are and read or just watch them play because they have the comfort of me being there and paying attention to them but I still can "relax."

You can't be a good mom unless you take care of yourself too. All moms go through stuff like this, and the guilt associated with these things (there were nights I would cry myself to sleep thinking about the things I could have done). I always tried to be the best super-mom out there until I totally exhausted myself, which only resulted in needing more sleep, not to mention I was kind of cranky. You took care of your son, you did provide him what he needed, and now it's your turn to take a nap. Lay down with him on the couch, put in the longest Barney video you own and rest. When the video is over eat something nutritious to give you needed energy. It may even be a good learning experience for him to understand that not every day is going to involve hide and seek, or chasing around the house. Children need to learn how to entertain themselves and play solo, too. It develops creativity as well. You are a good mom, don't worry. We have all been there and I am quite sure our kids are OK. Breathe.

I know exactly how you feel....my son had several severe ear infections....let's put it this way, from Christmas to May he had 5 severe ear infections, one of which took us to the ER at Children's Hospital in the middle of the night! To answer your question, no, just relax. He'll be fine and it will help him to learn to amuse himself....a great skill that will be useful the rest of his life! You don't constantly have to find ways to amuse him. He can do it himself. (Also I get migraines and used to be a stay-at-home mom, so I know what it's like. My son would find ways to entertain himself while mommy was sick, then as soon as possible I would have someone come to watch him so I could take my migraine pill and sleep it off for a few hours.) But....for those ear infections, they have numbing ear drops. They are MIRACLE WORKERS!!!! The doctor can prescribe them, but I'm not sure, they may have some over the counter ones. But you just put a drop or two in each ear and they numb their ears so they can get rest!! Also...when he naps, nap with him!!! I used to do that all the time....it will help you get some much needed rest. I always found that when I would nap with him he would sleep for a little longer, too.....so maybe it would work for you!!! Good luck!!

Don't feel guilty. You're just tired. It's happened to the best of us. You are not by any means a horrible mom. Maybe play some low key games with him then try to take a nap together. You'll be better tomorrow. Glad he's feeling better!

You are so not a horrible Mom, you are just a human being! Don't feel bad, after not sleeping, no one would have the energy to chase around a kid! Don't feel bad, you are completely normal! If you have someone close to you near, ask for some help to catch up on some winks. If not, lay low today. Catch a DVD of your baby's fav movie, whatever. Take it easy today, especially on yourself! You are not wrong by any means!

;)

NO you are not a bad mom, you are just exhausted, now is the time to call in extra help, your parents, his parents anyone you trust...all you need is those precious few hours to get some rest...

if you have no one all his favorite DVDs and put your feet up...its not like it happens everyday so its OK and stop feeling guilty you are doing just fine...

good luck

you are a good mom. do the mommie duties as you have been, what i do is put up the baby gate to the stairs and kitchen. stay in the living room. this is where the tv and toys are anyway. put a snack on the table for her. and take a nap on the couch. let her play with herself for a little while, i am right there if she needs me, and i know she is safe... and i can close my eyes for at least 20 min. enough to recharge my batteries....

Source(s): when you are so tired, then get someone to come over so you can go lay down for a bit... baby does not understand, thats ok. if you are so strung out then what good will you be for him an the next bad night??get some rest.

This is perfectly normal.

I have 3, grown, children. When they were small I lost tons of sleep. One would get sick, pass it onto the other 2 and then us (the parents). Guess who took care of who..................

I took care of everyone but NO ONE ever took care of me.

It's just part of the big picture of having children..............

relax today ...that way u can feel more like urself tomorrow and play again.......u r not a horrible mom, just a tired one.

First kid, huh?