Where's the cheapest and safest city to live in California?

Hi there. I've come across a couple of similar questions, but with differing answers. Basically, my Mum 2 younger brothers and I will be moving to California shortly. I don't know how long we will be there, maybe a month or two, or maybe more. Hence I was thinking we'd live in an extended-stay motel or... show more Hi there. I've come across a couple of similar questions, but with differing answers. Basically, my Mum 2 younger brothers and I will be moving to California shortly. I don't know how long we will be there, maybe a month or two, or maybe more.
Hence I was thinking we'd live in an extended-stay motel or something, then if we still live there, move to an apartment or condo.
However, I have about the high costs of living, and was hoping that someone could tell me where would be a good city/area to go to, somewhere not too expensive, is safe and has access to facilities (ie, not in the middle of nowhere)
If the area is good for tech jobs, all the better.
Thanks